FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC GY DV500 Focusing

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eneese
JVC GY DV500 Focusing
on Aug 22, 2007 at 11:03:43 am

I recently purchased JVC GY DV500 camera. I was using the Sony VX2000.
Wow, a learning curve for sure. I love this camera accept for a few things. One, no auto focus. I thought I could
get the hang of using manual focus but maybe I am a slow learner. I primarily shoot weddings and this camera
was a big improvement. From the back of the church to the front was not to bad using the front focusing ringe focusing and I think I do ok keeping everything in focus but, I wear reading glass's and the viewfinder is tough for me to keep things in focus. My sons High School called us and wanted their fooball game video taped, and we accepted.
I found trying to keep the game focused very difficult. Zooming in and out, slowly, and following the game
damn hard to do. The front focus ring was not enough to keep the players in focus from one side of the field
to the other.
Im sure you get the picture of my experience. My question is this, how do I use the front and rear focus rings
and the zoom is this situation? Is it just going to take alot of time? I finally just kept the camera in focus by
not zooming in and out and the video turned out ok. I would have like to zoom in and out a little more during the game.

Eric Neese
eric@mydigitalstudios.com

Return to posts index

johnbilski
Re: JVC GY DV500 Focusing
on Aug 27, 2007 at 8:21:15 pm

just a heads up dont change the back focus, unless its out of focus when you pull back. it could really be a headache if that gets screwed up. your best bet is to just get more comfortable focusing, thats the really only advice i could give.

Return to posts index

Sedoik
Re: JVC GY DV500 Focusing
on Nov 9, 2007 at 3:51:28 pm

As it was mentioned previously - if it works, don't touch back focus. I had this camera for 6 years. (Just sold it few weeks ago - time to adapt to HDV & HD) DV500 was a first professional DV camera with broadcast features. Everything (buttons and switchers)was placed where broadcast cameraman would expect it to be. There is no auto focus on broadcast lenses. I had it upgraded to a Canon 20X lens and VF to a bigger and better one
with a higher resolution in order to see a better and sharper picture. I think you have to get use to use your fingers while shooting and memorize to which direction to twist focus and iris rings.
Good luck

I'm not obsessed...I'm detail - oriented

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]