FORUMS: list search recent posts

dead pixel JVC GRHD1

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
EOR
dead pixel JVC GRHD1
by
on Aug 16, 2007 at 8:57:22 pm

I just read some posts about fixing dead pixels on the JVC-110 (I bought one, working beautiful...) .... however I have one JVC-GRHD1 that has this same problem... anyone out there with a suggestion to fix it ?

regards

EOR

Return to posts index

Matt Norton
Re: dead pixel JVC GRHD1
on Sep 12, 2007 at 4:35:27 pm

I have the prlblem with my JY-HD10 too. it seams to be an isue with all of the JVC HDV cameras. I just tried a HD250 out last weekend. Where did you read how to fix the the HD100?
I found if I crank the shutter speed to 1/500th they go away. but that isn't any good with a GR-HD1 or JY-HD10 if you shooting inside with room light or low light.

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Sep 17, 2007 at 8:53:35 pm

I have a pixel that is always green on my hd1. I have an extended warranty, so I plan to "fix" it that way when I can take some time away from needing to use it, but it appeared within the first three months of owning the camera. I sent it to JVC while it was still under the three month factory warranty, and they didn't fix it, just sent it back a month later with the same problem.

I won't be buying any JVC products in the future.

Return to posts index

matt norton
on Sep 18, 2007 at 1:43:11 pm

Green that is a new one mine is sometimes red. I emaild Ken at JVC asking about dead pixels. He says the
HD10 doesn't have masking software.

He wrote this in response to one of my questions concerning their HDPRO line.

"It is a much higher price level of product that would be blemish free. And then an entirely much higher
product price point that would warranty such a blemish free block

Also note that all pro cameras encounter additional blemishes within their service life, The service
activity of taking care of this would be prohibitive for the manufacturer and the customer, that is why all
pro manufacturers build the software in."........"All of the professional camera manufacturers provide for
the ability to have no blemishes at 0dB using masking software. In fact the cameras are normally much
better than that and normally .We all replace the block under warranty if the masking software will not
mask such blemishes."

That being the case they should have put the software in the Prosumer HD10 this camera when new
wasn't that much less than the HD100/110 is now. what do you tell your clients when they ask what is that
red,white,or green dot on my face sticking out like a sore thumb on a 32" HDTV set? I love JVC's stuff
but I am seriously thinking about picking up a competitors entry level HD camera for comparison and
keep the HD10 as a back up and out door camera. I can hide the blemished with the shutter speed out side.

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Sep 18, 2007 at 2:00:34 pm

I like to use 1/30 or 1/60 shutter speed because of the look (not a fan of strobing), so for a lot of my purposes, I can't even pump the shutter speed. In a lot of shots, the pixel doesn't show up if it is well lit, and it is down in the corner. I use the camera mostly for personal projects and a lot of things I shoot are intended for the web.

I actually picked up this camera because it was the best looking picture I could get for the price point when they were blowing out the GR-HD1. Also, I thought the extra resolution of HDV would be useful as I use a lot of green screen in my personal artistic ventures, so I like to be able to manipulate the size in post without any noticeable pixelization when it is screened in SD.

Return to posts index

matt norton
on Sep 18, 2007 at 5:05:52 pm

you may be able to get similar result by cranking the f stops higher however if your lighting isn't
consistent your shutter speed will change. It takes some experimenting. those GRHD1 and JYHD10 are
great for Internet work and the blow out sales have been some good deals. I almost picked up a second
one. but now the new generation of cameras is about the same price. I am looking at Panasonic's HDAVC
consumer and procosumer camera $1,000-2,000 and Sony's new forth coming shoulder mount HDV for
under $2,000. I have also considered Sony's 1080 24p hand held but it is priced so closed to the JVC
HD110 that I would rather have the versatility of the HD110 and respect that goes with a large pro
looking camera. most of my work it 24p movie look delivery.
JVC also has a new consumer camera with built in hard drive that looks very close to the HD1 an HD10 for under $2,000 but if it doesn't have the pixle masking software I am not interesed.

It is kind of funny with a small hand held camera you can shoot allot of stuff you might other wise get
shot down for shooting with a full sized camera. at other events you put a full sized pro camera on your
shoulder and people get out of your way. They think you must be some one special.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]