FORUMS: list search recent posts

Purchasing A Camera, Advice Appreciated...

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ghetto3jon
Purchasing A Camera, Advice Appreciated...
on Jul 28, 2007 at 9:33:02 pm

i'm interested in buying a new camera for a variety of uses (weddings, short films, etc) in the $4000-$6000 price range (my current camera is a Sony PDX10).

my first choice was the Sony DSR-250, but i'm tempted by the JVC GY-HD110U. for the time being, my machine cannot handle working with HD footage (PowerMac G4 w/ FCP 4.5), so i'd probably be using the JVC is SD mode (or downconverting, i guess?). is the JVC in SD mode on par with the DSR-250? how does the downconverting process work? a friend of mine once used a Sony HVR-Z1U, and i thought he said he was able to shoot in HDV mode and import into FCP as SD footage...which supposedly yielded a high quality picture. is that possible with the JVC?

sorry about all the questions, and please excuse my ignorance about this stuff. i greatly appreciate any help.

Return to posts index

Terry Nixon
Re: Purchasing A Camera, Advice Appreciated...
on Aug 2, 2007 at 4:20:48 pm

I'd go for the GY-HD110 instead of the DSR-250.
The JVC GY-HD110 allows you to shoot in either SD DV or HDV modes compared to SD DV or DVCAM on the Sony DSR-250.
The DSR250 has been around since 2000 and will probably be discontinued when Sony's warehouse finally runs out of stock. Its never been a good seller for us.
I used to shoot my home stuff with a DSR-PDX10, but sold it when i heard it was going to be discontinued. Took me a while to find a small Canon HDV20 to replacement. PDX10 is a great camera.
Terry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]