FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD110u/200u batteries

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt sherman
HD110u/200u batteries
on Mar 22, 2007 at 7:17:37 pm

Getting ready to purchase one of these cams and we're trying to get a better grasp on the battery situation. The JVC rep said there is a battery that comes with the 200 but it is tiny and will barely give you an hour of run time and that you should just buy a third party solution (idx/ab). Does JVC have any other size batteries for these units? I come from a Sony mini-dv background where you have three different levels of battery to choose from. But with this JVC they pretty much say you can't run the cam out of the box and you should spend another $1k for the batteries. Is this correct?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
Re: HD110u/200u batteries
on Mar 23, 2007 at 3:34:49 am

Hi Matt,

As with any pro camera, there really is nothing provided to power the camera out of the box because most pro's have invested thousands of dollars into either Anton Bauer, PAG, or IDX battery systems. They would take the camera and add a compatible plate to use their own battery system.

BTW- the 200 comes with no battery at all so your rep was talking about the 110.

Justin.

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Mar 23, 2007 at 3:39:25 am

Also,

If you get a 110 then you can use prosumer batteries to power the cam.

The 200 requires pro batteries so you if you dont already own an AB or IDX system then you would need to get one.

Return to posts index

ssmith3
on Mar 24, 2007 at 11:45:40 pm

If you are considering the 200, take another good hard look at the 250. It comes with the Anton Bauer battery mount built in, a battery, it NOW comes with the lens, and it has a better encoder than the 110.

If you might ever want to use it in the studio, it will output full res, 1080I HD(not HDV, but HD) in a studio, it just cant put that to a miniDV tape.

The 250 is a much more complete and professional camera than the 110.

Return to posts index

EVA-O2a
on Mar 30, 2007 at 7:50:58 pm

I have the 110U and I'm trying to figure out a battery solution myself. But I don't have much money to spend. Is there any downside to buying a bunch of small batteries for the camera (it seems you can buy these for as little as $35 on the internet)? I don't mind switching every 45 minutes or whatever.

And/or what is the cheapest of the pro battery solutions? I've only just started looking into it. Any suggestions are welcome...

Return to posts index

matt sherman
on Mar 30, 2007 at 7:57:04 pm

The benefits to the pro battery that I can see is that with the 110 the viewfinder and the screen can both run at the same time. That's the only feature I could find that needed the pro battery. We will probably end up with the IDX system since JVC had a deal in March that you got a free one if you bought a cam by the end of March. It rushed our purchase but for an $800 value it was worth it. I do believe that is the cheapest option; the Anton Bauer(?) is just over $1k I believe.

My question is how long the IDX battery lasts compared to the prosumer versions that are around 45 minutes. Anyone know?

Return to posts index

EVA-O2a
on Mar 30, 2007 at 8:07:17 pm

Yeah, I just found out about that free IDX battery thing and signed up for it. But it's not coming for 6-8 weeks or whatever and I'm shooting before that. So I'll probably still need to buy a couple cheap camera batteries to get along until then.

Return to posts index

matt sherman
on Mar 30, 2007 at 8:10:28 pm

Yea, same with us. We need to get a couple ordered to pass the time. Do you know what the name of the battery is that we should search for on ebay?

Return to posts index

EVA-O2a
on Mar 31, 2007 at 3:55:14 pm

Just look at the bottom of your battery. mine is a bn-v428U but I believe some cameras came with a v438u.

If you just google the battery, there are plenty of sites selling them cheaply. You may also be able to rent batteries depending on where you are.

I have other friends with this same camera so I think I'm just going to borrow batteries till mine arrive.

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Mar 31, 2007 at 12:54:59 am

Switronix prices their batteries below Anton Bauer and IDX but perform just as well. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them. They make batteries for AB and IDX mounts and I'm pretty sure they make the mounts too.

Return to posts index

EVA-O2a
on Mar 31, 2007 at 3:56:39 pm

Definitely sounds worth looking into. I still have a lot of battery research to do.... Thank!

Return to posts index

EOR
by
on Apr 13, 2007 at 1:28:45 am

I bought 2 switronix bricks... XPL90A and charger (for the 2 batteries at same time) for about 1K.. also get the antonbauer promo (FREE!!) from JVC (titan 90 and single charger)... my comments:

Switronix:
- EXCELENT BATTERIES
- a little bit heavier than AB
- No display and no info on camera about remaining time (but led indicators on battery and voltage indicator on camera)
- I have had some problems with the plate adapter (suplied by JVC). In my opinion the 2 screw mount is "weak" for the weight of some heavier batteries other than the AB..... and even with the AB you have to be careful... it is a bad design and I'm sure that the 200 series come with the pro-battery mount on the body camera to avoid these kind of problems...

Regards

EOR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]