FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC HD100U

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ilegal31
JVC HD100U
on Mar 19, 2007 at 2:47:43 pm

Hello People,

Based on DV SD footage which are the best settings to apply to the JVC HD100U considering that I will later convert to 24p, I just purchased the camera and I had tried almost everything, but the quality on the image is not what I was expecting, any advise please?

Thanks in advance.

P.D. Any advise on a good Light Meter for DV Video?

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
Re: JVC HD100U
on Mar 19, 2007 at 10:27:23 pm

Just a bit confused here.

If you will be converting to 24p later why not just shoot in 24p?

Return to posts index

ilegal31
on Mar 20, 2007 at 6:15:45 pm

Hello Justin,

I appreciate your time, well, shooting 24p SD on the JVC HD100U is not the best option, I was expecting better looking video at this resolution, I had tried 60i SD and the image is awesome, also very smooth, then I convert to 24p. Shooting HD 24p is another option but I don't have the storage for huge files, I want to avoid converting 60 to 24 fps. is there any technique or camera setting that you recomend?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Mar 20, 2007 at 11:32:07 pm

If you shoot HDV at 720p24 your file sizes will actually be slighlty smaller than DV so file size shouldn't be a deterent. The main thing is to have fast processors to edit HDV.

I just think that if you really intend to finish in 24p you should shoot in 24p. Converting 60i to 24p produces strange artifacting in my experience with Magic Bullet. It can be done but you really need to shoot carefully, knowing what works and what doesn't.

Anyway, when you say that you were expecting better looking video at 24p SD what was the problem? The motion quality or the image quality? Personally I have not used the camera to shoot SD yet so I can't really draw any conclusions or give much advice there. It's pretty comon knowledge that even if your final delivery is SD- it is better to shoot and edit in HD, then encode a standard def DVD or convert to whatever SD format you need if you are outputting to tape.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

brianluce
on Mar 21, 2007 at 3:01:02 am

The best SD will come from shooting in HD and downconverting when you've got it all the way you like in your NLE.

Paulo Ciccone has some great presets for the hd100 to make the colors pop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]