FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing images from the JVC GY-HD100U

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
motionfx
Capturing images from the JVC GY-HD100U
on Feb 27, 2007 at 5:12:43 pm

I have some tapes that were recorded on the JVC GY-HD100U camera at 720p, 30fps. I have tried to capture with Sony Z1U into Final Cut pro but it can not seem to get a picture.

The display on the camera is visible but not into FCP.

This JVC is a pretty cool camera but the rental house says that I must use the JVC camera or the JVC deck to capture. Are there any other options. I see this camera's popularity going away at this rate.

Thanks in advance.
Brian

Return to posts index

Truman King
Re: Capturing images from the JVC GY-HD100U
on Feb 27, 2007 at 11:33:13 pm

I think it's the same issue trying to play HDV tapes that were recorded with a Sony HDV camera on a JVC hdv vtr. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't work either way most likely because of the proprietary way that each company lays down the HDV signal to tape. My plan is to use my old JVC GR-HD1 camera as playback deck and purchase the new JVC GY-HD200U for footage acquisition.

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Mar 1, 2007 at 6:48:34 am

I think the Sony may be able to play 720p30 out of its analog connections but not over firewire. This is the case with all the Sony HDV decks anyway.

Best.

Return to posts index

Truman King
on Mar 1, 2007 at 5:14:04 pm

Regarding my earlier thoughts about using the older JVC GY-HD1 as a playback deck for footage shot on the HD200, does anyone know how the GY-HD1 would respond to playing back 60p footage? Is 60p playback possible on a camera that doesn't natively support 60p? Otherwise, it looks like I'll have to use the HD200 for capture, buy the JVC deck, or use the firestore option, correct?

Return to posts index

matt sherman
on Mar 22, 2007 at 5:31:43 pm

Wow, i didn't realize that. We're looking at the 110/200 right now and that will be a major issue. Is that only with HD or does it affect SD also? We get subbed out by companies all the time and we just send them the tapes which for DV it doesn't matter what you shot it with.

Return to posts index

ssmith3
on Mar 24, 2007 at 11:39:36 pm

HDV is an encoding very similar to mpeg2. They interpret the all the frames between two I-frames. This span of frames is a GOP (Group of Pictures). I think part of the problem of compatibility between the Sony vs. JVC HDV formats is that Sony uses a Long, or 15 frame GOP while JVC uses a much shorter 6 Frame GOP. For 60I or 30P, this is a half-second for Sony and only 1/15 second for JVC. Sony HDV has many more frames to interpret than JVC. This is one of the strengths of JVC's version of HDV. While HDV is not frame-accurate for editing, JVC hit's much closer to the mark. The trade-off is that Sony is 1080 lines of resolution, while JVC is 720 (I believe).

Basically, I don't think they play nice together, as each brand equipment is looking for it's own format and GOP length to interpret.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]