FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for 3ds Max workflow for Archviz

COW Forums : Syntheyes

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Rob Holmes
Looking for 3ds Max workflow for Archviz
on Jun 1, 2017 at 12:44:24 pm

I've used Syntheyes about a dozen times over the past 6-months. I'm still plagued by one aspect and after watching 100's of tutorials and devouring the SE Manual, I just can't figure something out.

-I have a building that is 300'x300'x20' that's built in Max.
-I have drone footage over the area it's going to be built.
-I have a successful solve of the drone footage.

Here's what I can't seem to accomplish. It's probably not difficult but I have some sort of mental block or something because I can't figure it out. I can't seem get my Max mesh into SE, place it perfectly at the correct scale and get it back to Max without having to manually tweak everything. That kills my precision.

-When I import the mesh into SE, it's huge and in the perspective window I can't zoom out enough to see it or work with it. I have the 'Options' of SE setup to feet and 'Z-up' to match my Max scene.
-I'm afraid to scale or move the mesh I imported because I want it to go back to Max at the same size and position.
-I want everything in SE to conform to the scale of the mesh that came from Max so that once SE's solve is exported to Max, everything is perfect and my building in Max has not been moved or modified in any way.

I just can't figure out the proper workflow to get a mesh from Max into SE and back to Max and retain all the position and scale precision. I keep having to manually nudge, scale and tweak. All of the "manual" work ruins my precision.

What am I missing? Any good suggestions? I've searched for months for a tutorial that shows the process I'm doing and can't find one. Surely others are doing this.

--------------------------------
3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2017), ASUS Z10PE-D8WS Motherboard,
Xeon E5-2650-V3 Dual Processor, Dual Hydro H80i CPU Chiller, 64 GB DDR4 Ram,
Quadro K5200 Display Adapter, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 10 10586, Dual Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
----------------------------------

Return to posts index

brian morse
Re: Looking for 3ds Max workflow for Archviz
on Jun 2, 2017 at 1:04:18 am

Hey Rob,

I did a tutorial on this last year if you haven't checked it out. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/syntheyessurveysolving

There is a section in the tutorial where I go through matching your camera in Syntheyes to a 3d model.

If you have a Lynda account it's on there too.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Brian

Return to posts index

Rob Holmes
on Jun 2, 2017 at 1:18:54 am

Brian,

I really appreciate this. I know I must be missing something simple. I look forward to going through your tutorial. Hopefully, it will help me figure out what is eluding me.

Thanks a lot....

Best,

Rob

Quadro K5200 Display Adapter, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 10 10586, Dual Monitor, Cintiq 13HD

Return to posts index

Rob Holmes
on Jun 2, 2017 at 11:07:59 am

Let me ask you a quick question before I buy your tutorial, I don't use Lynda.

Your trailer shows everything occurring completely within SE. Do you bring a model from Max, scale to it in SE and send it back to Max in any of your video segments? That's my challenge. I don't have the existing "shed" that you have in your trailer. I have nothing where your shed is. I have a huge train station in Max that I need to bring into SE, solve a drone video of the area, align the SE scene to the mesh I imported, send SE and that imported train station mesh back to Max and see that the mesh that was in SE aligns perfectly with itself back in Max.

If your videos don't cover that workflow, it probably won't be what I need.

Return to posts index

brian morse
on Jun 2, 2017 at 12:50:57 pm

Hey Rob,

The tutorial is not 3d software specific. The videos show you how to use a model (The one I used was made in Maya) and align your shots to the model. It is only the Syntheyes part of the equation.

There are many factors to what you are trying to achieve. From the few things you pointed out specifically that you are having problems with this tutorial will help.

Basically if you export your model from Max to Syntheyes and both have the same units of measurement. You will be able to track to the model in Syntheyes, without moving the model, and then send that camera back to Max and everything will line up exactly to you Max scene, if the tracking is done properly. The most common problems can be lens distortion, rolling shutter and matching frames.

If you still can't figure it out you can contact me directly.

Cheers,
Brian

Return to posts index

Rob Holmes
on Jun 2, 2017 at 7:07:05 pm

Cool. Thanks Brian. Let me see play with it more.

What you said here, is exactly what I'm trying to do and even after months of trying I am struggling with it:

"Basically if you export your model from Max to Syntheyes and both have the same units of measurement. You will be able to track to the model in Syntheyes, without moving the model, and then send that camera back to Max and everything will line up exactly to you Max scene, if the tracking is done properly."

This is exactly what I'm failing to be able to do reliably.

I'll digest your comments and work more. If I still have issues I'll reach out. I'll probably go ahead and get your tutorial. I'm sure it has plenty of good general knowledge in it. That never hurts.

See ya and thanks,

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]