FORUMS: list search recent posts

3000x2250 codec for timelapse archiving?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eben Hall
3000x2250 codec for timelapse archiving?
on Jul 24, 2014 at 4:55:18 pm

I'm working on a long-term timelapse of a construction site. Every evening I offload the pictures (about 15 gigs worth) and make an image sequence which comes out to about 3 minutes. I'm a month in and I'm realizing my storage won't last the duration of this project.

Does anyone know what the best codec/format would be to export my daily image sequences to save space (again currently I'm using 15 gigs a day for roughly 3m) and preserve the native 3000x2250 resolution of the photos so I can do some pushes & pans in post for the final project?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: 3000x2250 codec for timelapse archiving?
on Jul 25, 2014 at 1:30:15 pm

How much storage space do you have to work with? What codec/format are you compressing down to now? Are you saving the stills or deleting them after you've made the 3 minute image sequence?

I'm working on an 18 month construction site time lapse right now. We decided for space considerations to shoot JPEG at 1920x1080. We generate 1 still per minute (1,440 per day). Since they are JPEG's they are considerably easier to deal with. From those stills we can generate time lapses in a variety of formats (ProRes, h.264, DNxHD, etc.) depending on what the project demands. I've allotted about 500GB for the project since the JPEG's are pretty small that we chose to shoot.

You have a couple of options:
(1) Increase your storage capacity
(2) Change the size of the still you capture
(3) Create an image sequence using a lower data rate codec - ProRes (Proxy), h.264, JPEG2000, etc.
(4) Don't take as many stills as you are taking now (maybe just 1 per hour?)

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]