FORUMS: list search recent posts

Custom Naming & wildcard usage in Output?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alain Durocher
Custom Naming & wildcard usage in Output?
on Jun 19, 2014 at 4:45:12 pm

Hi,

Currently evaluating AME over an 8 year old hardware dedicated encoder. I figured this brand new PC with a great graphics card coupled to AME's likely maturity after all these years would largely contribute to send off to the recycling yard that old encoder. Being on Adobe CC, I figured this would be a no-brainer.

Well, maybe not... But I'll be glad to be proven wrong.

1- Custom filenaming, automatically
My file name is "MyClip", to be encoded into 6 files, 3 formats, e.g. 2x WMV, 2x FLV and 2x MP4. I want:
MyClip_720p_5Mbps_2997.wmv
MyClip_540p_3Mbps_2997.wmv
etc.

But I get:
MyClip.wmv
MyClip_1.wmv

So we seem to be stuck with manual filenaming after the fact?

2- Output Path
In that old encoder (again, 8 years old but still rockin'!), I can "tell" in each output profile that I create, a distinct output path with sub-folders. Better yet, I can do this using "wildcards" that dynamically adapt to the project/job/clip being encoded. So for each new clip, I have 5 subfolders, one for each format (QT, FLV, WMV, etc.). Each file type is stored accordingly. I cannot seem to have this going for me in AME, other than having everything in a General all-around Software Preference.

3- Custom filenaming using wildcards?
In that "clunky" old encoder, various "flags", such as source clip name, path, resolution, framerate, encoder profile name, etc. can be included as you create your Presets. You just need to use the "%" sign in front of the wildcard name in the output path and voilĂ . Example: "%R" will insert the resolution of the encoded file within the output filename. I just start the encoder (or drop the file in a watch folder) and every single file will be written in the proper subfolder with a full name that will be meaningful to me.

4- Speed
Benchmarking equal encoding jobs of the same source file, I barely see an improvement on the new machine, even though I use the Mercury Engine GPU/CUDA acceleration renderer... I have shiny new DELL tower with 32GB of RAM, Intel Xeon E5-2630v2 @ 2.6GHz (2 Procs) CPUs and an NVidia Quadro 6000.

Am I missing something here or was all this to be expected?

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Alain Durocher

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Custom Naming & wildcard usage in Output?
on Jun 23, 2014 at 2:10:17 pm

[Alain Durocher] "So we seem to be stuck with manual filenaming after the fact?"

Yep. As far as I have been able to tell. And I'm completely sympathetic to your question because it would save me quite a bit of time if I could embed the naming structure needed in the Preset Setting in AME.

I would suggest submitting a Feature Request directly to Adobe in hopes they'll address that in a future update:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Alain Durocher
Re: Custom Naming & wildcard usage in Output?
on Jun 25, 2014 at 5:59:20 pm

Thanks Ryan - cheers.

Alain

Alain Durocher

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]