FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prores MOV to OP1a MXF

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Shade
Prores MOV to OP1a MXF
on Jun 11, 2014 at 1:41:04 pm

Hi All,

I've got a bit of a complicated issue here.
I edited a TV show in FCP 7 that was shot in a combination of 29.97p and 25p on a 29.97 sequence. I exported the finished episode to a Prores MOV, and then I used Compressor for the frame rate conversion to 25 (the show is airing in the Netherlands). In my Compressor settings, I told the program to interlace the file with upper field dominance, but it never did this, so after the Compressor process finished, I used MPEG Streamclip for the interlacing and field order assignment.

The network's delivery specs specified that the file had to be as follows:
1920x1080
50i (upper)
OP1a MXF

Here's where Media Encoder comes in. I set the frame-rate-converted, interlaced Prores source file, and I used AME's XDCAM 50 preset set to upper field dominance for my conversion. However, when I sent a test file to the network, they said the field order was still wrong.

When I open the test file I sent them in AME, it clearly says that it's got upper field dominance and is 25i. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

Any advice or input?

Thanks so much for your help!


Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Prores MOV to OP1a MXF
on Jun 13, 2014 at 1:38:56 am

Why not just take the master ProRes file from FCP7 and bring that directly into AME. AME can do frame rate conversion and interlacing. Sounds like you went through a lot of programs so any one of them could've introduced the problem.

Take your finished file from FCP7 and go straight into AME. Then list out all your settings on here so this forum can help you and see if something is listed incorrectly.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost


Return to posts index

Michael Shade
Re: Prores MOV to OP1a MXF
on Jun 13, 2014 at 2:31:00 am

Ryan - thanks for the reply.

I finally heard from the network, this time from the actual broadcast engineer (I had been communicating with intermediaries who didn't really understand what he wanted). It turns out that he was unhappy with the frame rate conversion (not a field order issue), and that he didn't think Compressor or Media Encoder were capable of adequately performing the framerate conversion (I have similar feelings about AME with respect to frame rate conversion, though I've always thought Compressor does the job just fine). They use a program called Telestream Episode, which I don't have. So I'll just be sending them the original 29.97 export, and they'll do the conversion. Thanks in any case for the reply.


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]