FORUMS: list search recent posts

MainConcept MPEG Video codec causing timestamp issues

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Grono
MainConcept MPEG Video codec causing timestamp issues
on Mar 18, 2014 at 10:05:16 pm

Hello,

I've been looking for ages to find a solution to this, but so far nothing has shown up. My problem is this: After rendering a file in Media Encoder with the Mainconcept MPEG Video codec (or rendering it with TMPEGEnc), if I play the video from the beginning in Windows Media Player or Windows Media Player Classic, the timecode is fine - but if I skip ahead to a certain time, it'll be off by a certain amount of seconds. For example, there's a certain part that happens at 1:53 if started regularly from the beginning and watched the entire way up to that point, but if I start the vid and skip to that point, it'll be nearly 6 seconds off and the timecode will be at 1:59 when it gets to that certain part that is supposed to happen at 1:53. I'm not seeing this when I play it in VLC Player, either. I also tried playing it on my work computer and it wasn't an issue.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc? I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out why it is doing this.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: MainConcept MPEG Video codec causing timestamp issues
on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:51:07 am

When you transcode your files, what's your keyframe distance set to? How many frames?

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Aaron Grono
Re: MainConcept MPEG Video codec causing timestamp issues
on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:15:18 am
Last Edited By Aaron Grono on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:27:48 am

Hi Ryan,

Thank you very much for responding.
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but do keyframes refer to the M and N Frames under GOP Settings? If so, I have M frames at 3 and N frames at 12, with 0 set for "closed GOP every", and with Automatic GOP placement checked. It's rendering at 23.796 fps for a video that is timed at just over 2:55 which is roughly 4219 frames (if that's what you meant by total frames, if not, I apologize again).

A couple other things I noticed while experimenting: rendering it as an .m2t file after selecting TS as the multiplexer doesn't show the problem occurring. I've also tried encoding mp4 files in Premiere Pro with Media Encoder to mpeg-2 and they don't give me an issue, so I thought perhaps it might be how the other avi files were originally encoded - for all of them I used the utvideo codec when exporting from virtualdub, so I tried one with a lagarith codec and it gave the same problem.
I'm not sure if there is just something wrong on my computer with how mpeg-2 renders, since I don't think TMPGEnc uses Mainconcept MPEG Video to encode, if mpeg-2 just isn't good in general with handling video files with certain codecs, or if there's something going on with Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic (since playing it in VLC will show no problems). :/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]