FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Encoder compressing really slow.

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Maarten
Media Encoder compressing really slow.
on Jan 31, 2014 at 10:22:43 pm

Hello,

I'm new to After Effects and Media Encoder. I finally got some nice effects going for my youtube video's and the first video I created in AE, was a short trailer of about 30secs. As such I just rendered it straight from AE and it came out to about 250MB. Perfect!

Now here's the problem, I created a longer video around 40 minutes long and rendered it via AE again. It was a massive 32GB! Not really something you can upload to youtube quite easily.

So I looked around and it was mentioned that I should compress it further in media encoder. So I looked up the right settings most people said H.264 and just use the youtube preset (HD 1080p 29,97).

Now here's my problem I left my pc on and went to work, assuming when I got back it would be done, but no cigar. It was maybe 20% in and had 40 hours(!) left. Now I realise compressing can take a long time but is this really normal?

Some info about my PC:
Intel i5-3570K @ 3.4Ghz
16GB DDR3
Windows 7 64Bit
Ati HD7800 series.
And i'm using adobe CS6 suite.

So my question to you guys/gals is there a way to speed up media encoder? or is what I'm seeing normal?
Also I was used to sony vegas and that went quite quickly and good once I got the right settings, but I was limited I felt in the effects I could add, hence the switch to AE. But even the short video I made I got the message from youtube that the video could be uploaded faster if I uploaded it in a streamable format (with vegas I used some quicktime setting, so I did the same with AE, but now I have that message again).

Another thing I want to add I record my gameplay and such via Mirillis Action, it is very good quality but it does make very big video files (the videos are avi and normally I record about 30mins and depending on the game it will be a video file with a minimum of 10GB, some are even 30GB) but I drag these directly into AE (as I did with vegas) is this a reason why i'm getting such huge files? Would it be better to prerender the videos into a smaller format in vegas or Media encoder before using them in AE?

Allright lot of text, also some questions about AE as well, I hope you can help me because it's driving me crazy to come back to the PC after 5 hours of work and seeing that it still needs to do a good 40 hours. In fact I'm currently trying it again (disabled preview, I didn't have that before) and now it's at about 10% after 40 mins, but still saying it will take 5 hours, and it's still going up!

Please help, and thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Media Encoder compressing really slow.
on Feb 3, 2014 at 5:40:03 pm

Jan - there are a lot of factors that go into getting "speed" on encoding. What format are you starting with? What format(s) are you converting to? Where does the media reside (RAID, internal drive, flash drive, etc)? Where are you writing the new media file (NAS, RAID, internal drive like a boot drive, etc.)?

All of these questions impact your performance. Additionally CS6, was tuned very well for Nvidia GPU's. I see in your spec list that you're running an ATI. While CS6 did start to incorporate ATI with their OpenCL architecture, Nvidia was where the speed came from (and still is to some degree on the Creative Cloud apps). However, support for ATI has jumped leaps and bounds in the Creative Cloud offering of Media Encoder.

Also the more cores you can have on your CPU the more Adobe can thread the encoding through multiple cores (parallel processing). I'm assuming your computer has 1 Intel i5-3570K, so you have 4 cores. Having 8 or 12-cores would also cut down on exporting times.

To my earlier questions, where you're media file resides and where you write your newly encoded media file are also important. Using USB based hard drives (unless they are USB 3.0) is generally discouraged. Having storage attached via Firewire, Thunderbolt, or eSata is greatly preferred. Further, avoid using only your boot drive to store, edit, and encode your media. Your primary system hard drive is already running your whole computer. If it has to serve up a file, and also write a new file while maintaining all system operations you'll also lose performance.

Some of your speed problems are likely computer-hardware related (GPU, processor type,etc), while others may be based around the file your encoding and the settings you're converting it to.

Hope this helps.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]