FORUMS: list search recent posts

Correct output configuration?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Nachman
Correct output configuration?
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:33:36 pm

Premier Pro CC in Media Encoder; I set the output to NTSC DV Wide believing I could play the DVD on the computer and a DVD Player. I can play the DVD on my computer but not on a DVD Player. What am I doing incorrectly to be able to view the DVD on my computer and a DVD Player?

Enjoy life, this is not a rehearsal

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Correct output configuration?
on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:06:54 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Pulera on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:08:36 pm

Hi Ed,

While computers will play almost any media that is on your disc, a set-top DVD player can only play VIDEO DVD that meets the approved DVD specification.

From Media Encoder, you need to choose "MPEG-2 DVD" as the format, then also use an appropriate preset such as "NTSC Widescreen High-Quality". This will create the proper format for DVD, however you cannot simply burn the resulting files to DVD media. Rather, the DVD must be "authored" using Adobe Encore or similar. The MPEG-2 files are combined and written to the DVD in a very certain way, with .vob files inside of a VIDEO_TS folder. Certain headers and stuff are written to the disc to tell the DVD player "This is a DVD video disc". The raw MPEG-2 files would play from DVD media in a computer, but not in a DVD player without the authoring step.

Once you choose the right presets in AME, the only setting you might want to change is the encoding bitrate. Rule of thumb is 560/minutes=bitrate, and I usually round down a bit for safety/menu overhead, for instance 560/120=4.66 and I'll specify a 4.5 rate then. You can web search "bitrate calculator" for other options also. Note that for short videos, not recommended to exceed "8" for bitrate.

Just Import the results from the AME encode job into Encore and author/burn from there to create a DVD-legal disc that plays in all set-top players.

EDIT: just noticed you have CC, and Encore is NOT included. You can download Encore CS6 and use that for DVD and Blu-ray authoring, see here - http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/kb/encore-cs6-installed-cc.html
Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ed Nachman
on Jan 28, 2014 at 9:47:46 pm

I imported two files; audio and video. I went to the Build tab and noticed that the "build" in the Build tab was "grayed" out. Where do I go to burn the DVD?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 28, 2014 at 9:56:10 pm

Hi Ed,

I can't possibly train you on Encore in a forum post, suggest viewing/reading some of the many tutorials available on the Cow and elsewhere. In a nutshell though, use Import As > Timeline since that might be your issue - you need a Timeline before the media is really added to the DVD.

This should allow you to create a basic DVD, no menus, that auto-plays.

Try this series to start, scroll to bottom of list to see the 9 parts - http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/adobeencoredvd

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ed Nachman
on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:44:47 pm
Last Edited By Ed Nachman on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:46:08 pm

I did as you suggested in looking at the tutorials. I followed them; considering there wasn't anything but one video without any menus. I noticed that I had Output as DVD Master. I changed that to DVD Disc and "Build" was now highlighted. I pressed "Build" and it started to burn the disc. I can play it on my computer but I still can't play it on my DVD Player. The Player says, "Cannot play this disk" I don't know what else to do. I do appreciate your assistance and I know that I am "close" to solving the problem. Everything takes time. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 29, 2014 at 3:00:23 pm

Hi Ed,

First rule of using video software - use the DEFAULTS if inexperienced with the program. As soon as you start checking boxes without knowing the results, problems creep in.

You could try burning a "Disc Image" and that will create an .iso file on the hard drive (you must enter a destination in the Build window). Then burn that .iso using free software such as BurnAware or ImgBurn. I believe if you double-click the .iso file, Windows 7 might also offer to burn, ran into that dialog accidentally the other day but didn't actually try it.

If you can upload a few screen grabs of Encore, that might be helpful in troubleshooting. The main interface plus Build window would be a good start then we can look at settings for you

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ed Nachman
on Jan 29, 2014 at 3:30:16 pm

I'll be attempting the .iso route. I am attaching the screen shots you requested.

This is the first time I've uploaded. Hope it works.

Return to posts index

Ed Nachman
on Jan 29, 2014 at 4:05:35 pm

"A little learning of the perian spring is a dangerous thing." Close to the quotation that I can remember. I don't have a problem. It is the DVD player. Sorry for the confusion; on my part. Creative Cow has been a great source for support. Jeff, thank you again. You hung in there and it is sincerely appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 29, 2014 at 4:37:03 pm

Hi Ed,

Glad you got it sorted out. Just for reference, once you've created an .iso file, you can burn additional DVDs from that .iso from within Encore without having to re-render the project. Where it says "Source" in the Build Window, change "Project" to "Image" in the drop down and then specify which .iso to use as the source.

For simplicity, I just use a third-party software, I think it is BurnAware, very quick and easy to burn copies from an .iso file later after Encore project was deleted.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]