FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mavericks & Lossless Exports

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Dekovich
Mavericks & Lossless Exports
on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:52:55 pm

Mavericks isn't playing nice with Animation or PNG codecs (See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6055 )

So, I am looking into how to export a lossless H.264 file from AME. I've heard there is a way of doing this, but am unclear on how to ensure it is lossless, as H.264 is one of the few lossless codecs QT 10 will now play without automatically converting.

I'm aware QT 7 will work, but am just curious of a workaround for QT 10.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Mavericks & Lossless Exports
on Jan 24, 2014 at 12:40:17 am

I would be very surprised to learn that any H.264 compression result could possibly be lossless.

What is the purpose of these files? Are you using them as intermediates in a post-production pipeline?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Emily Dekovich
on Jan 24, 2014 at 8:37:09 pm

That is what I was thinking as well, I heard about a lossless H264 format from other online forums but have never encountered it in my own work. My only hesitation about ProRes 444 is that Windows won't play it.
The purpose of this output is to give a client a highest resolution copy as possible for archiving purposes. That way if they need the video in another format they can compress it easily on their end.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 24, 2014 at 9:43:20 pm

> My only hesitation about ProRes 444 is that Windows won't play it.

That is not correct. QuickTime on Windows can play any of the ProRes flavors. It's encoding (writing, creating) ProRes files on Windows that is the problem.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Emily Dekovich
on Jan 24, 2014 at 10:42:15 pm

Ah! Good to know, I was unaware! Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 24, 2014 at 7:01:35 pm

Hi Emily,

What about ProRes with alpha?

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 24, 2014 at 7:10:53 pm

ProRes 4444 (which Jeff is referring to) is lossy, but it loses _very_ little information in one or two generations of compression. I use it as an intermediate codec when doing compositing work for webisodes, and I don't find any crucial information to be lost.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Emily Dekovich
on Jan 24, 2014 at 8:38:30 pm

My assumption is that Windows will not play this format unless the user has downloaded an additional plugin for QT, but i may be wrong.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 24, 2014 at 8:43:52 pm

Hi Emily,

While I've not specifically tried ProRes 4444 on a PC, the regular ProRes files work fine on PCs as long as the standard QT player is installed, no special plug-in needed.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]