FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert 120fps .mov from iPhone 5S to DNxHD

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alberto Bedin
Convert 120fps .mov from iPhone 5S to DNxHD
on Dec 24, 2013 at 5:49:09 pm

iPhone 5S has quite interesting slow motion video features.

I'm on Windows and I would like to convert my 120fps .mov footages from iPhone to DNxHD in order to do some PP.

By the way this is the first time that I would like to try to use a Digital Intermediate format. I think that I will use this also on my DSLR footages (both 60fps and standard frame rates).

To convert the video to DNxHD I opened Adobe Encoder and I found a DNxHD preset folder. It was NOT inside quicktime containes, it is called DNxHD MXF OP1a. However inside there were only presets with fixed fps values.

I have two questions:

1) What parameters do you suggest to use to export my videos as DI with DNxHD? I suppose that I should achieve something like 30mbps as bitrate. Do I need to download some codecs?

2) I want to slow down my videos from 120fps to 24fps. I'm able to do this from Premiere. Should I do this there o should I do this now? I tried to export at 24fps but I got a normal 1x speed: the video is not slower.

If you think that there are better DI formats, they should still work for me.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Convert 120fps .mov from iPhone 5S to DNxHD
on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:59:38 pm

You don't need to DI the format. The iPhone is just recording a h.264 mp4 Quicktime file. That should work fine in Premiere Pro even on Windows.

If you do want to convert to DNXHD, you'll need to maintain the same frame rate as your source footage - 120fps in this case. Inside of PPro is where you designate it to be interpreted at 23.976fps which will give you smooth slow-mo. If you just convert your source footage from 120fps to 23.976fps it will remove frames, and playback at a 1:1 to speed. Media Encoder is not where you will do your slow-mo work - that is saved for Premiere or After Effects.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Alberto Bedin
Re: Convert 120fps .mov from iPhone 5S to DNxHD
on Jan 1, 2014 at 7:35:30 pm

I did not find a way to convert do DNxHD at 120fps with Encoder.

However, I found out that i can "interpret footage" also from Encoder, just right click on the source file!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]