FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding Sorenson Video 3 to H.264 gives a corrupted data error on PS3

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Moor
Transcoding Sorenson Video 3 to H.264 gives a corrupted data error on PS3
on Jan 17, 2012 at 2:00:52 am

I am converting a large number of Quicktime .mov files from Sorenson Video 3 to H.264 (.mp4) in order to play on a PS3. The PS3 supports H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile´╝łAAC LC). The resulting files when played on the PS3 almost always give a "corrupted data" error message. A few will play all the way through. Most will fail near the end of the file. If I fast forward through the file the failure will occur much sooner. The only difference I can see is that at least one file which fails is encoded at 115.6K/sec vs 246.2K/sec (one which works). Videos which are not encoded with Sorenson seem to work. All videos play correctly in my Mac Quicktime Player.

I am using Media Encoder CS5 on a MacPro mid 2010 with tons of cpus, memory, SSD and disk. MainConcept H.264 Main Profile, Level 3, VBR 2 pass target bitrate 2.7 Mbps, maximum 10, AAC 44.1 Khz 256 mbps. I selected these settings as there are a number of files with varying levels of quality, and so it should preserve even the best ones at the expense of extra size of lower quality files as they are batch processed. Changing to "High" profile (supported on the PS3) makes no difference, nor does changing the key frame distance to 5. As a test I tried setting the key frame distance to 1 - AME crashed. I tried just using the standard Apple TV profile with no modifications and they still fail.

Origtinal Source files: Quicktime 720 x 405 Sorenson Video 3, 15 fps 115.6 K sec (fails) 246.2K/sec (works).

I'm not sure if the issue is with the Main Concept encoder. Is there anything else I can do to keep this from failing? If not, is there another encoder which might do a better job? I have noted that the MainConcept decoder does a better job than Apple's Compressor even when MainConcept is encoding at lower nitrates.

I have tried Final Cut Pro with the x264 encoder, but that doesn't work for totally different reasons.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]