FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Convert/Encode/Render video for slow device?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Levan Katsadze
How to Convert/Encode/Render video for slow device?
on Aug 29, 2013 at 12:13:49 pm

Hello, I know there is no best video codec or format. Because, each codec is designed for its corresponding job and situation.

Well, here is my situation:

I have an Android Tablet, that can play any video with any codec or format, but if the video is high quality, the playback slows down because it has slow CPU and GPU.

Here is the system info of my device:

Android version: 4.1.2 Jelly Bean

Display: 1280x720
Chipset: Nvidia Tegra 2 T20
CPU: ARMv7 Processor Dual-core 900 MHz Cortex-A9
GPU: ULP GeForce
RAM: 700 MB
Internal Storage: 20 GB
SD card: no

So, this is not very slow tablet but not fast enough for smooth h.264/x264 video playback.

I know h.264 and x264 reaquire fast CPU to play video.

So, please tell me which video format and codec is best for my situation to play 720p and HQ video smoothly on my device and not take so much memory.

Well, I want to watch 720p and HQ movies on my slow device, and I am looking for best codec to convert a movie and not to take more than 10 GB memory. and of course the video playback must be smooth.

I have tried many MP4 720p h.264 or x264 movies to play with many Android video players, but each player just slow down the playback in both mode:

Hardware encoding
Software encoding

Thanks you so so much.....

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: How to Convert/Encode/Render video for slow device?
on Aug 30, 2013 at 7:36:40 pm

What settings are you using to encode your file (resolution, frame rate, data rate, audio settings, etc.)?

You're not the first person to complain about this with an Android device. Not every manufactured Android device has a dedicated h.264 decoder chip on it. So many have to rely on the CPU to decode and it is a resource intensive decode. You may have better luck transcoding to a WebM or Ogg Theora format for use on Android devices (again...depends on the device).

Not to make this an iPhone rally-cry post more to highlight a difference, but Apple in 2008/2009 started to embed a h.264 decoder processor on the main board of the iPhone. So instead of using CPU cycles to decode the video (battery intensive) the dedicated chip handles the h.264 decode. In that area the iPhone has a great advantage.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]