FORUMS: list search recent posts

AME is sooooo sloooooow!

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Little
AME is sooooo sloooooow!
on Jun 18, 2013 at 3:05:56 pm

I have a 2.5 hour corporate event that I edited in Premiere Pro. There are AE clips, sound, imported video, the works. When I run it out to AME, the source resolution is 1440x1080 and I am downsampling to 640x480 for delivery on Vimeo.

The thing is... Media Encoder is teling me that it is going to take 20 hours to render this video. Why would it take that long? I rendered last night at full resolution, it took 8 hours and produced a 27 gig MP4. I have run out video this size (previous events) with way less of a time investment. Clearly I am doing something wrong! My newbie-ness is showing something bad here.

I am on a Mac Pro, 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Inel Xenon tower with 22 GB of RAM running OS 10.8.4 and the Adobe Master Suite 6.

Can you make a suggestion, or maybe point me at a tutorial on render settings? I thought I had everything set right, but this is crazy! I took a capture of my settings and have attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Clearly I suck.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: AME is sooooo sloooooow!
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:01:19 am

What type of GPU do you have ATI or Nvidia? CS6 screams with the proper CUDA enabled GPU card installed. What codec is your source footage in? If it's in a long-GOP codec like HDV/AVCHD/h.264 format then it'll take longer to export than a mezzanine style codec like ProRes or DNxHD.

If you have an event of that length, with dynamically linked material, FX, frame resizing, etc. and you have an ATI based video card I would anticipate it taking about anywhere from 3X-5X realtime. You're doing a lot to your footage.

Additionally, have you tried exporting out directly from Premiere Pro, not queuing it to AME? In some situations I've seen the dynamic link handoff add time.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Mike Little
on Jun 19, 2013 at 1:17:04 pm

I have a ATI Radeon HD 5870 GPU. The footage is captured on a Canon Vixia HF S10 at 1440 x 1080 for this project.

I ended up rendering out my AE effects and replacing them. This has the render time down to around 13 hours, which still kinda sucks... But that is way better than 20.

No, I haven't tried to render directly from Premiere for this project. Might be worth a try when I fire out the second half of the event. Is it possible that AME is worse at multithreading than Premiere? I read that this might be a possibility, but I haven't been able to find backup to that.

Would trying to build some kind of render farm be a good idea? I remember an article a while back about getting some Mac Mini's and use their combined processing power. That is a little over my head, though.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jun 19, 2013 at 2:13:36 pm

You'd see a stark increase in performance just by switching to an approved Nvidia graphics card (Quadro 4000 or Quadro FX 4800). Or if you move up to Premiere CC they have more support for ATI cards (using OpenCL technology) and harnessing the GPU you currently have.

Getting rid of the dynamic link will certainly help you. Transcoding your footage out of AVCHD when you import would also help you get faster export times. The drawback to transcoding upfront is that you increase your time on the front end instead of the backend. AVCHD is a highly compressed format that takes a lot of horsepower to export when finished, especially if you've added color correction, or titles, or dynamic linked material.

Setting up a render farm is a possibility, but I would start with a different GPU as already mentioned. AME utilizes just as much processing power as PPro, it's the same engine in either app. The difference is that dynamic link between the two apps creates an extra step for the export to go through. In your case it might shave off 30 minutes or something.....it's not gonna drop it by 4+ hours.

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Mike Little
on Jun 19, 2013 at 2:28:12 pm

Premiere Pro CC is better than Premiere Pro CS 6? Really? Damn! I just upgraded!

I don't think the boss would go for a software switch or a new GPU. I just got this GPU (the last one went bad). Is there a way to make PPro CS6 more friendly to my GPU? Some other software/hardware solution? That would be an easier sell since the GPU and CS6 are new.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jun 19, 2013 at 2:37:35 pm

Well they've optimized the OpenCL technology better in CC than in CS6.

There is a hack you can do to a .txt file on your system to enable Premiere Pro to see your current GPU card and utilize it better. Just bear in mind it is a hack, and therefore not necessarily stable at all times in all situations. It is not endorsed by Adobe.

Use the Google to look around and I'm sure you can find some walkthroughs about how to enable your ATI card under CS6 via a text file hack.

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Mike Little
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:07:57 pm

Thanks for all of your sharing, Ryan! I don't love the idea of a hack so much, but if it gets me better performance, I may need to at least try it out.

I wonder if anyone makes an actual product? Maybe ATI? Hmmm...

Return to posts index

Mike Little
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:32:29 pm

Just an FYI, Adobe offers a pretty good price (for a limited time) to "upgrade to the Creative Cloud as a current owner of CS6. $19.99 a month.

I am finding some tutorials on "How To Enable GPU Cuda in Adobe CS6 for Mac." Some say it won't work for the ATI card, but others imply that it will (unsupported cards). So much work just to render some video!

Return to posts index

Pablo Matsumoto
on Oct 18, 2013 at 1:18:38 pm

Hi. Your rendering time does not seem bad at all.

Return to posts index

Mike Little
on Oct 18, 2013 at 4:18:16 pm

Actually, things have improved dramatically since I moved to the Creative Cloud version of AME.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]