FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 vs H.264 bitrates

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonnie Lewis
MPEG2 vs H.264 bitrates
on Jun 7, 2013 at 9:19:22 am

Hi all,

I'm delivering some video content to a client who will be using it in a PowerPoint presentation and because I'm on a Mac and they're on Windows, the only format I can deliver which is accepted by PowerPoint is MPEG-2.

When exporting using H.264, I normally set the bitrate to around 5mbps. Doing this with MPEG-2 gets some really horrible results. To get anywhere close to the H.264 quality I need to set the MPEG-2 bitrates to about 15mbps. This obviously generates a pretty large file.

So my question... why does H.264 at 5mbps look so much better than mpeg-2 at 5mbps? For this video I can get a great looking H.264 file for less than 100mb but to get an MPEG-2 to look as good the file size is approximately 400mb.

Cheers,
Jonnie.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: MPEG2 vs H.264 bitrates
on Jun 7, 2013 at 1:49:43 pm

Simple answer: because h.264 is a more efficient encoding method than a traditional MPEG-2 file.

Per your problem, if they're using a recent release of PowerPoint they should be able to play a h.264 file in there. Another option is for you to get Flip4Mac and make a WMV for them to use.

Or you could loan them a Mac for their presentation! ;-)

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Jonnie Lewis
Re: MPEG2 vs H.264 bitrates
on Jun 7, 2013 at 1:52:51 pm

Thanks!

I ended up using convertfiles.com to create a WMV for them to use, though Flip4Mac looks increasingly like something I'm going to have to invest in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]