FORUMS: list search recent posts

Odd Resize from Uncompressed

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Edwards
Odd Resize from Uncompressed
on May 22, 2013 at 4:36:59 pm

Hello,

So I exported an Uncompressed Quicktime out of Avid at 1920x1080 on a PC. I bring it over to a mac to create an Apple Pro Res HQ 1920x1080.

Basically, the program is not seeing my uncompressed file as a 1920x1080 file, if though it is. It keeps rendering with pillar bars. I then checked 'change output to match source' which seems the quicktime as 1584x1080?? Is that 16:10?

Help would be much appreciated.
-Very Confused

Return to posts index

William Edwards
Re: Odd Resize from Uncompressed
on May 22, 2013 at 4:53:28 pm

I think I may have not created the Pro Res HQ preset correctly.

The output file has 2 dimension sizes when I hit command i in quicktime, with quicktime opening it in 1920x1080.

Still confused...

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on May 22, 2013 at 6:35:40 pm

It sounds like you should double check two areas:
(1) Verify the exported file settings - 1920x1080
(2) Recreate your ProRes Preset to ensure you set it up correctly

In Quicktime under Command+I you'll see two display sizes - Normal Size and Current Size. Normal size is the one you need to be concerned about. That's the actual resolution of the file you're looking at. Current size is simply the size it's currently being displayed at (which you can change by grabbing the corner of Quicktime and stretching/shrinking it to fit your display). Again, the Normal Size is what you need to verify.

Verify that the file was exported correctly from Avid. Then verify your ProRes preset.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on May 22, 2013 at 8:17:46 pm

I switched it to square pixel ratio, and that worked. The other settings didn't seem to have 16:9 NTSC... kind of a weird 16:9 ratio they had on there.

Probably should have read the manual...

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on May 22, 2013 at 8:24:37 pm

If you're working in HD from acquisition to delivery then yes, you should have your PAR (pixel aspect ratio) set to square pixels. If you had it set to D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121) then it would come out messed up as that should be used primarily when encoding SD footage to widescreen. Since SD doesn't use square pixels in order to get a widescreen image out of SD footage the pixel aspect has to be reorientated so as to produce the correct image.

If HD material always use Square Pixels.

If SD material use D1/DV NTSC Widescreen, uprezzing to HD or going to web delivery then convert to square pixels.

Good reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_aspect_ratio

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]