FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting uncompressed avi files?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helena Masterson
Exporting uncompressed avi files?
on May 21, 2013 at 6:48:24 pm

Up until last week I was using QuickTime Pro to export uncompressed AVI files using .mov's that I exported from After Effects. This work flow worked fine but I have just upgraded to Mountain Lion this week and have found that my 'None' (for no compression) option has now disappeared from QuickTime 7.6.6! I have searched for an answer for this and apart from a suggestion of accessing Terminal which I'm not really comfortable doing, I can't find a fix.

So my problem is I now need a way to convert to uncompressed avi's. I know this isn't possible using After Effects (unless it's changed for CS6) so is there a way to do it through Media Encoder? Or does anyone know how I can use QuickTime to do this. I've noticed a new option in QuickTime that says uncompressed 8-bit or 10-bit but not sure if it's the same thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
Re: Exporting uncompressed avi files?
on May 22, 2013 at 5:46:32 pm

You can still render Uncompressed from AE render queue. The compression codec "None" is a legacy codec and does not mean that you are rendering an "Uncompressed" video file. It renders an uncompressed RGB file that is very heavy in data size when not necessary .

Choose Uncompressed YUV if you want a true uncompressed 4:2:2 file or animation for an uncompressed 4:4:4 file.

To the best of my knowledge neither Render queue or AME will output an AVI on the mac.

"Think of everything in terms of building capacity."

Kris Merkel
twitter: @kris_merkel
Product Manager, Flanders Scientific Inc.
http://www.shopfsi.com
Co-Founder, Atlanta Cutters Post Production User Group
http://www.atlantacutters.com

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
CS6/FCP7
AJA T-Tap
AJA IO XT
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

Return to posts index

Helena Masterson
on May 22, 2013 at 6:17:50 pm

Hi Kris, Thanks for the response. The specific requirements I need are an uncompressed AVI. That is the format that runs on the digital board system the creative is for. I have been using the workflow of exporting from After Effects as an uncompressed .mov, then using QuickTime Pro to convert to an uncompressed AVI (using the 'None' option in QuickTime). This has always worked perfectly. Now I have lost this option in QT and can't find another way to convert the file to an AVI without compression. As you stated, I can't do this straight from AE because I am on a Mac.

I guess I'm asking if there is an alternate workflow I can use to get an uncompressed AVI? I was hoping Media Encoder could be an option, but knew it could also be a long shot..

Return to posts index

Aaron Fletcher
on Jan 12, 2014 at 6:17:29 pm

Hi Helena,

I am running into the same issue. My workflow has always been on a mac to export from AE or Premiere Pro as an uncompressed QT and then to export it from QT Pro into a raw avi (with alpha). Now I don't have the same options and i can't get the alpha channel of the avi to come through. Did you find any solutions?

Return to posts index

Helena Masterson
on Jan 12, 2014 at 7:19:31 pm

Hi Aaron,

I went ahead and used the terminal option that I found and it worked perfectly. I'm always a bit dubious about putting things into terminal, but it did sort out the problem and I have had no issues as a result. I'll add the link below.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17461425#17461425

:)

Return to posts index

Will McMillian
on Sep 20, 2014 at 9:24:28 pm

This worked like a charm!

Pasted into Terminal, hit return, then restart QT an the 'None' option was there upon export.
Great!

Return to posts index

Maria Celina Boa Nova
on Apr 7, 2015 at 5:54:51 pm

Guys. I did the Terminal thing and now i having an issue in order to render any file in After Effects:

Can i undo the Terminal thing?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]