FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with Text in transcode

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stef Allan
Problems with Text in transcode
on Apr 23, 2013 at 4:01:08 pm

I'm baffled. A clip on a client's website became corrupted so we are sending them a brand new h.264 compression of the clip to post.

The problem is that while the action in the clip looks fine seemingly no matter what setting we use, the text in the clip really, really suffers.

It's an old clip that they've had on their site for a while, since the SD days.

So our source is ProRes 422, 655 x 486, NTSC - CCIR 601, Lower Fields.

When I compress it to a progressive frame the footage comes out somewhat blocky:

When I compress it using the interlace (lower), it comes out as smooth but soft:

The source obviously looks much better:

I've attempted various fixes, with different bit rates and formats. All seems to come out the same way. I'm wondering if the strange dimensions (655?) might be part of it or if I'm just completely missing something obvious. But it's still a problem if I compress to a different format, NTSC DV for example instead of h.264.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
Re: Problems with Text in transcode
on Apr 23, 2013 at 4:43:44 pm

Honestly, the original text does not look much better. Compressing text is not as easy as it sounds because of the static hard lines. Your best bet is to recut the sections that need it with new text. If that is not possible keep playing with encoding settings until you find one that looks good at a bit rate that you can afford.

Are you exporting to the same frame size (resolution) or are you scaling the image up or down?

"Think of everything in terms of building capacity."

Kris Merkel
twitter: @kris_merkel
Product Manager, Flanders Scientific Inc.
http://www.shopfsi.com
Co-Founder, Atlanta Cutters Post Production User Group
http://www.atlantacutters.com

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
CS6/FCP7
AJA T-Tap
AJA IO XT
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

Return to posts index

Stef Allan
Re: Problems with Text in transcode
on Apr 23, 2013 at 5:00:37 pm

I agree that it doesn't look great. Remember, it's an SD clip. Also, these are just zoomed screenshots of the clip.

I transcoded to h.264 through Compressor and did not have the same problem. I think I should be fine now, but I still don't really like what's going on in Media Encoder. I had the same problems even when I set it to 25 mbps.

And why would the clip ever have been in a weird dimension like 655x486? This project was edited long ago in Avid by another editor and now I'm trying to figure out why some of these things are strange as they seem.

Thank you,
Stef

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]