FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Media Encoder Cs5: Importing *mov issues

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oskar Westerberg
Adobe Media Encoder Cs5: Importing *mov issues
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:29:35 am

I've been trying to import a *mov file for export to vimeo HD (under *mp4), but to no success.

First I tried to import a mov with animation codec, AME said: "No appropriate film/sound file". Then I tried to import a mov with Jpeg2000 codec, it imported fine but when I tried to preview it in AME it was all black, alas when I exported it was also all black, with sound though. (Both mov files have been rendered from After Effects)

I did try importing a h264 that I'd exported from After Effects and it imported well and showed the image/video. It doesn't do me much good to compress an already compressed file though.

Can somebody point me to which codec to use? With rendering times over an hour It's getting a bit frustrating trying different codex out.

Return to posts index

Oskar Westerberg
Re: Adobe Media Encoder Cs5: Importing *mov issues
on Mar 28, 2013 at 1:09:22 pm

Oh I forgot to mention, I'm on a mac, so It's not drivers missing or anything like that.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:22:11 pm

Adobe Media Encoder should work fine with any flavor of QuickTime that you have a codec for.

Does the original file open in Quicktime? Do you have Adobe Premiere Pro? Does it open there? Does it open back in After effects?

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

Oskar Westerberg
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:53:00 pm

Hi Jeff,

No I don't have Premiere. Both files open in Quicktime without problem though (well some problem because of the file size but they definetly works). And atleast the animation file opens back in AE, because I used it to export the Jpeg2000 version.

I read somewhere that sometimes you have to change the file extension name from *mov to *mp4 for it to work. I don't have access to the files right now so I can't try it. Do you think that might help?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:58:10 pm

[Oskar Westerberg] "I read somewhere that sometimes you have to change the file extension name from *mov to *mp4 for it to work."

Do not do this. That 'fools' the mac into thinking your looking at an MP4 with QuickTime, instead of an MOV. If the codec (in that case) was h.264, no big deal...but with what you're doing? Disastrous.

Something is wrong with your Adobe Media Encoder; don't look for workarounds, look to get that fixed.

If you want a workaround, let's just have AE render the h.264 directly for Vimeo.
I'm assuming you're rendering a 1080 file?
1920x1080, QuickTime, h.264, 10-20mb/s should be decent for the data rate.

Fixing Adobe Media Encoder:
Can you try other QuickTime files (different codecs?) Perhaps something that came with a book (vs something you've created?) It may be worth uninstalling/reinstalling Adobe Media Encoder.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

Oskar Westerberg
on Mar 28, 2013 at 3:18:15 pm

Ok, good to now definitely won't try it then.

It's 1280x720, I usually just render h264 directly from AE to vimeo but this time it looked quite nasty at some places (I went with 16mbps to manage to get the file size under 500mb) so that's why I started up Adobe Media Encoder.

Right now I'm exporting a loseless mov with Yuv 8bit codec, but If that don't work either, what do you think about exporting a maxed out h264 from after effects and then importing it into AME and exporting for Vimeo, Is that going to look any good or should I just go ahead and re-install?

I have some problem finding a mov file that isn't h264 that I haven't created myself, everything on the web seems to be h264 if you now what I mean.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:46:10 pm

The problem in AE is that it won't do a 2 pass render of h.264.

I can't recall if this was added in CS 5 or 6, but in Adobe Media Encoder could you see if there's a File> Add AE composition?

If I wasn't under the NAB gun, I'd get some footage for you...

[Oskar Westerberg] " It's 1280x720, I usually just render h264 directly from AE to vimeo but this time it looked quite nasty at some places (I went with 16mbps to manage to get the file size under 500mb) so that's why I started up Adobe Media Encoder."

Who cares about the data rate - double it - at 20-30mb/s it'll look great right out of AE and should be decent on Vimeo

[Oskar Westerberg] " I have some problem finding a mov file that isn't h264 that I haven't created myself, everything on the web seems to be h264 if you now what I mean."

Yah. Cough Cough.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

Oskar Westerberg
on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:34:37 pm

I gave up and re-installed AME and now it actually works. So yeah, first time that ever happened.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]