FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I set a global output destination when batch encoding media?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Mark
How do I set a global output destination when batch encoding media?
on Feb 17, 2013 at 7:05:58 pm

I wanted to use Media Encoder to convert some XDCAM footage to ProRes. I imported the footage, selected all, and applied a ProRes preset. That seemed to work for globally setting the preset. But I wanted the footage to go to a new folder on a different hard drive. I had about 50 clips in the cue and when I had imported them, they defaulted to all wanting to be exported to the folder in which they currently lived. I searched in vain for a way to reset the output so that I could send all the clips to that new folder with one operation (i.e. applying the new destination globally). Instead it seemed I would have to select each clip individually and choose the save folder under the output drop down one clip at a time.

What I eventually did was to copy the files into the new output folder and then encode them from there. The problem with that, of course, is that after encoding, I have to go into the folder, delete the originals, and rename the new files to match the original names. I got done what I wanted, but it was an annoying way to work.

I can find no help info anywhere on the proper procedure for doing this sort of transcode. I can't believe that my work around is the actual plan. Can anyone tell me how the program is supposed to work for this sort of task?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: How do I set a global output destination when batch encoding media?
on Feb 17, 2013 at 9:51:37 pm

This is a shortcoming in the current version of Adobe Media Encoder. Normally, I'd tell you to submit a feature request here:
http://www.adobe.com/go/wish
...but in this case I'm going to look into taking care of this myself. (No promises, since I can't officially comment on what is in a future version of our software.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Stephen Mark
on Feb 18, 2013 at 2:24:44 am

I believe this is the second time in recent months that I've been stymied by some feature or lack thereof in the Production Suite where you have responded that the problem I'm having really is a problem with the software and not me. Thank you for at least keeping me sane.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 18, 2013 at 2:31:31 am

Let's hope that I can transition from keeping you sane to keeping you satisfied with the software. ;-)

Feature request logged internally.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Stephen Mark
on Feb 18, 2013 at 2:39:07 am

Amen.

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Feb 27, 2013 at 8:28:10 pm

I wish it was possible right now. click click.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Skala
on Jan 4, 2015 at 1:02:55 am

Has this issue been fixed yet. if not; retarded! pretty basic stuff here for such a feature rich encoder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]