FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio drift in blu-ray project

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Levering
Audio drift in blu-ray project
on Feb 8, 2013 at 9:51:53 pm

Greetings! I'm having trouble finding a solution to this issue, though i see people complain about it in quite a few threads around the net.

I'm in the process of authoring a Blu-ray project. Footage was shot on the Panasonic AF-100 in 24fps 1080p. Footage is edited in FCPX in a 23.98 timeline, exported as a self contained. Self contained is taken to AME, exported using

H.264 Blu-Ray (Legacy)
MainConcept H.264 video
All settings automatic
Profile is Main
Level is 4.1
Render at maximum depth
VBR, 2 Pass
target Mbps 15
Max Mbps 20
Keyframe is unchecked
Max render quality is checked
Frame blending is unchecked

I tried a few tests before going with these settings, and at first it seemed like my exports were good. I burned out test discs and tried on a few different player models, all seemed fine. I did notice my audio was slightly longer than the video in the sequence for my test builds.

As I moved on to compressing a longer video (114min) I realized the audio was sliding out of sync badly. Comparing the exported video to my source self-contained, it's shorter by a few seconds while the audio file is still the same length as the source.

The best I can figure is the 23.98 footage is being converted to 23.976 and dropping a few frames, although I keep seeing people say 23.98 and 23.976 are the same thing. Any idea how to deal with this problem?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Audio drift in blu-ray project
on Feb 8, 2013 at 10:29:01 pm

23.98 is merely how 23.976 is represented by software that can't show three places after decimal point. Never use 23.98 as a frame rate. If you do, then you will encounter frame rate mismatches like the one that you're experiencing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Paul Levering
Re: Audio drift in blu-ray project
on Feb 8, 2013 at 10:43:40 pm

OK, so is there a solution to the problem or no?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]