FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropped frames in Adobe Media Encoder DVD output

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Molenda
Dropped frames in Adobe Media Encoder DVD output
on Sep 17, 2012 at 5:42:35 pm

I'm attempting to compress a ProRes 444 QuickTime master to DVD, and several frames are consistently being encoded in the wrong order at precisely the same point in the M2V output.

The glitch happens right on a cut point between two high-motion handheld shots. Actually it involves five different shots, let's call them A, B, C, D, and E. The glitch is between shots D and E. As shot D approaches the cut point, there is one frame from shot A that plays, and then the final three frames of shot D play before cutting to shot E.

The flash frame appears to be a repeated frame from shot A, which happens approximately ten seconds earlier.

This does not appear to be limited to DVD, either. The skipping occurs when encoding to H.264 MP4 as well. The skip is not present in the master QuickTime.

My source attributes are as follows:
MOV, ProRes 4444 (no alpha), 1920x1080, 23.976 fps, 48k/16-bit stereo

I'm using the default "Match Source Attributes (High Quality)" preset. The only changes I've made to the encoder settings are that I switched the audio output settings from PCM to AC3 (Dolby Digital).

I'm running the latest version of AME CS6 (6.0.1) on Mac OS X 10.8.1 on a 2.7 GHz Retina MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM. Data is being read from, and encoded to a USB 3.0 external drive.

I should note that I was able to successfully compress a DVD video asset without the problem using a machine running AME CS5 on OS X 10.6.8. So I've ruled out a problem with the master QuickTime and/or a problem with the encoder settings. I'm running the compression again on a copy of AME CS6 installed on an OS X 10.7.4 machine in an attempt to rule out a problem with Media Encoder CS6 itself.

My guess is that there's some compatibility issue between AME and QuickTime on OSX 10.8. Either that or it's a compatibility issue with the Retina MacBook Pro hardware.

Any insight to what I may be doing wrong, or from people experiencing similar issues would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

William Busby
Re: Dropped frames in Adobe Media Encoder DVD output
on Sep 19, 2013 at 8:37:40 am

I see no one responded to your post a year ago but am wondering if you ever solved this issue and if so how? I'm getting the same thing with basically the same settings you used but feeding AME (CS6) a QT Ref from a Avid DNxHD 145 video mixdown and on a PC (so I think that rules out an OS being the problem). Can anyone shed some light on this?

Return to posts index

Nicolás Concha
Re: Dropped frames in Adobe Media Encoder DVD output
on Aug 20, 2014 at 6:43:05 pm

IT's been two years. but I had the same problem today with very similar characteristics. I got the problem fixed by moving all the data to my local SSD drive. Apparently the USB 3.0 was causing the issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]