FORUMS: list search recent posts

PCP from ProRes looks Very Low Contrast

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Joseph Freeman III
PCP from ProRes looks Very Low Contrast
on Apr 9, 2019 at 5:24:03 pm

This is my first experience with DCP, so my expectations may be wrong.

In Premiere Pro, I finished an 84 minute movie (1920x1080) that looks very good when rendered with H265/max quality etc...This was my reference.

I then made a master ProRes 422 HQ (original material was ProRes) and in the AME preview, the material looked to be lower in contrast and colors not as rich.

From the Master ProRes I am making in AME a Wraptor DCP 2048 Flat 24 fps. copy for the screening theater. In the AME preview the images appear to be lower in contrast than the ProRes.

The question is this normal, DCP is lower contrast than H265? If Not, what is the solution?

Thank you.
Joseph Freeman
5820/64 GB DDR4/1080 Ti/14 TB storage/H2-SSD-Raid 0-SATA III internal drives/cc2019.1

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: PCP from ProRes looks Very Low Contrast
on Apr 10, 2019 at 3:33:46 am

DCP's get converted to flat XYZ gamma 2.6, so if you want to see it, you'll need a player that sees that color profile. mpc-hc can play it back and openDCP player(set the output to the color of your monitor)
Premiere's monitor shows rec 709 gamma 2.4 timeline, even with color management on. The player you are using determines how its played back. It should look fine if you re-import back into Premiere.

Return to posts index

Joseph Freeman III
Re: PCP from ProRes looks Very Low Contrast
on Apr 10, 2019 at 5:13:31 pm

Thank you Chris for your reply.

From testing, the issue was discovered in AME was Max Color Depth was set, as well as 16 bpc. By unchecking Max Color Depth the issue was resolved. All colors look very nice.

Additionally, I dumped the Wraptor DCP files and created the DCP with DCP-O-Matic...which has a built in DCP viewer, many controls and is twice as fast as Wraptor.

Thank you for sharing the gamma information.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]