FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Formats and UK compatibility

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Lister
Video Formats and UK compatibility
on Nov 10, 2018 at 6:43:54 pm

I'm selling an instructional video via digital download through Payloadz.

Question: Do I still need to supply a certain version in order for anyone overseas? I'm using Win. Media in 720p HD since it offers the best quality at a small file size. The video runs for about 50 minutes. I just want to make sure it's compatible with any and all regions.

Also, is there a video format that is universal for iPhones, iPads, Android and tablets?

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Video Formats and UK compatibility
on Nov 11, 2018 at 2:57:57 am

Phil - the best delivery format is likely a mp4 using the h.264 codec. That would ensure playback on virtually any computer (Windows or Mac) and all smartphones and tablets. There are some generic h.264 presets included in Media Encoder that can get you started. Depending on your computer specs, the format of the original media, and your hard disk speed as well as the timeline you’re encoring this can be a very time consuming encode (in the several of hours timeframe). So plan accordingly.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on Nov 11, 2018 at 5:13:31 am

Thanks Ryan! Much appreciated!!

Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on Nov 12, 2018 at 1:54:00 am

One thing...that MP4 format takes forever to download. Even on my fast PC with SSDs, it says it'll take 5 hours. For those on an iPad...My God...

Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Nov 12, 2018 at 1:58:02 am

[Phil Lister] "One thing...that MP4 format takes forever to download. "

Download or encode? Downloading depends on the speed of your Internet connection and the server you're pulling it from. If the file is large it could take awhile.

Encoding, or the compressing of information from one format to another, is entirely dependent on your local system. h.264 is extremely processor intensive to encode and decode. the more RAM, faster the hard drives, better the graphics cards, etc all help in speeding up a h.264 encode. But if you're trying to do this on a laptop or a Windows tablet you should put the coffee on, cause it's gonna be awhile! ☺

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on Nov 12, 2018 at 2:37:17 am

Download...man what a slow format! Is there any other format that would be compatible with Apple and iPads and all the other crappy portable devices? Man, give me a powerful desktop any day!! lol

Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 13, 2018 at 4:17:22 pm

Hi Phil,

Unlike physical media such as a tape or DVD, computers/devices are not tied to NTSC or PAL video limitations or specific frame rates - a digital file will work anywhere in the world - however the playback device must be capable of playing the format you are supplying and Ryan is correct that .mp4 is the de facto standard for wide compatibility with most any computer or device. Windows Media is unfortunately not going to be viewable for Mac, tablet, or phone customers.

I know what you mean about file size - many years ago, I did an instructional video (computer screen recordings) that ran about 3 hours. It was amazing how economical .wmv files were for that purpose! In my case, the viewer would always be on a PC since the training was PC-specific. That was before phones and tablets were in vogue for watching video and those screens are too small anyway for what I was showing.

With any codec you encoding too, the only way to make the file smaller is to lower the bitrate, as size= duration x bitrate, plain and simple. Try lowering the bit rate, perhaps increase the distance between keyframes. If you can perhaps share a screen shot of your export encoder settings for review, we can make suggestions on how to shrink the file size to something more palatable.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on Nov 13, 2018 at 6:51:36 pm

Jeff,
I found a preset that seems to be working really well. A guy bought my video and he was able to download it and watch it on his iPad with no trouble. My video is 48 minutes long and I encoded it in 720p instead of 1080p, so the file size is 2.03 Gigs. That's with using the 720p encode for portable devices. The quality is really good, even on my 32" TV monitor I use as a preview monitor at my edit suite. So far, so good! No more disks for me...it's all going to be digital download or streaming from here on out!

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]