FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the best codec for... (state of the art of compression)

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Taylor
What's the best codec for... (state of the art of compression)
on Sep 14, 2018 at 4:25:39 pm

I've been using the Adobe suite, almost exclusively, since 2011. (go figure, right?) 😤
I love how well it handles any/all codecs & formats I've cared to throw into a sequence. I know that some of those codecs are more or less optimized for Editing, Recording, or Playout, but I been spending less time lately in the playout world.

I recently had an issue with some (H.624) mp4's that I delivered over the web for playback on a live show. The on-site techs said they weren't playing smoothly, while they checked out fine on my edit Mac before I sent them out. They asked for ProRes, and eventually specified ProRes LT as the only codec that seemed to be working. Sorry, I dont have info on the playback device or the large LED monitor they were using.

I understand that ProRes doesn't require as much computing power to decode, but delivering over the internet really wasn't very efficient, hence the H.264's which I've found to be a great compromise between file size and playback quality.

What codecs do the rest of the community like for what purposes?

Thanks,

Tim Taylor, Producer/Editor
RESolution Media Services, LLC

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
Re: What's the best codec for... (state of the art of compression)
on Sep 16, 2018 at 7:32:47 am

An all I-frame, unconstrained bitrate H.264 would be the next step down; you can think of it as an 8-bit 4-2-0 version of ProRes. Taking it one step further would be high bitrate IBP or IBBP H.264. There is minimal visual difference compared to all I-frame, but the bit rate will be lower. Ultimately, though, I would try to find a way to make ProRes work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]