FORUMS: list search recent posts

Codec and rate for display on domestic monitor in museum

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mickey Power
Codec and rate for display on domestic monitor in museum
on Jun 6, 2018 at 6:38:20 am

We've been delivering most of our HD films in H.264 for the web at recommended Youtube/Vimeo rates so all very uncomplicated there.

But some films are destined for permanent display in museums and other venues on what are domestic monitors. Our testing shows that sometimes the bit rate can be too high and the playout falters (though this was playing off a Macbook via HDMI).

Our current project is to be played off a Brightsign player connected by HDMI to a http://www.samsung.com/au/support/model/UA49NU7100WXXY.

Previously it was recommended we compress as MPEG2 Transport Stream up to 25mbps.

Any thoughts as to the best codecs and settings? Thanks.

Mickey

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Codec and rate for display on domestic monitor in museum
on Jun 6, 2018 at 7:10:04 am

Bitrate and quality are related, but not as much as you think. A good encoder putting in lots of effort can achieve a better quality at 1/3 of the bitrate. But at a low bitrate, the math to decode is more complex.

For Brightsign (it has been a long time since I've cursed on one) it's trial and error.
If its pure about bitrate, forget MpegII and try H264 (or X264).
(It 'could' be the memory card is too slow, but i highly doubt that...)

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 6, 2018 at 2:41:02 pm

Hi Mickey,

I'd be looking to the BrightSign player manual to see the specs of what they recommend - that would seem the best course of action. The opinions of strangers on a forum aren't worth a lot when we don't know what model of player box you have, what format the source is (1080i, 1080p) etc.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jun 6, 2018 at 5:33:02 pm

Hi Jeff,
Call me a stranger if you want, but some people here know I'm around the digital video stuff for some 25 years.

And (as I stated, it was some time ago) I DID read the brightsigng manual, and what was in the manual DID NOT work.

So, how much experience do you have on the subject to recommend a 'best course of action'?
(Of course reading the manual is a start, but sadly, in theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice however...)

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 6, 2018 at 5:40:14 pm

Hi Bouke - my apologies! In re-reading my post, I can understand why you may have taken it personally. Poor choice of words. Was not my intention at all. By strangers I meant ME, or anybody not knowing which specific player box he has, among other factors.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Jun 7, 2018 at 12:06:52 am

We're all strangers, not knowing each other's sound of voice or ever having met face to face. (Possible but unlikely.)

I think the discussion here about how to compress for screening a film on a domestic monitor goes beyond which player. It's about preferred codec types, size, rates and any other aspects which might affect the film's presentation on a monitor like that above.

In any case, I had already checked the Brightsign literature but no clear recommendations.

I did some tests Transport Stream Mpeg2 and H.264, both set to around 14mbps to compress the 9min HD 25p file. Transport Stream could only be played back on my Mac Pro on one app and there was a noticeable luminance shift. Perhaps this is the old app showing it, MPEG Streamclip. The H.264 in comparison looked excellent so I'm hoping when it's installed on the player there's no issue with play out rate.

Thanks. M

Mickey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]