FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime PNG alternative (with Alpha channel included)

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Kelly
Quicktime PNG alternative (with Alpha channel included)
on Dec 1, 2017 at 1:57:28 am

Hello,

I am looking for any codec/container export options out of Adobe Media Encoder that support RGB+A channels.

I am looking for video specifically, not image sequences.

I've found success with only 2, Quicktime PNG, which works well but with all the issues, I want to stop using it. And JPEG2000 MXF, which works fantastically but I also edit in Hitfilm, and it does not seem to be supported.

I have tried DPX, DNXhd, and AVI but without success. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Quicktime PNG alternative (with Alpha channel included)
on Dec 1, 2017 at 2:25:10 am

can you elaborate 'issue'? I did notice you didn't mention cineform. it can do alpha and is fast, high quality and supported by hitfilm natively.

Return to posts index

Chris Kelly
on Dec 1, 2017 at 8:37:00 pm

Hey Chris, thanks for your help!

I don't see Cinemform as an option on Adobe Media Encoder?

I supply VFX to other creators and want to find the best all-round codec/container option for as many creators as possible. All my assets are prekeyed/prematted with the alpha channel. I use mostly Quicktime PNG, but with all the recent issues with Quicktime I would like to find another option.

MXF JPEG2000 is the leading contender, but it does not seem to work inside of HitFilm. I am wondering, other than MOV, if there is another format that I can render from Adobe Media Encoder that would work in Hitfilm (and Adobe software, Vegas, DaVinci, etc. etc.)

Hope that helped clarify!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 1, 2017 at 11:18:06 pm

adobe media encoder will natively run quicktime PNG now.
both png and cineform should be under quicktime.

jpeg2000 isn't supported lossless in AME unless you get fnord's plugin. cineform can get 444HQ 12 bit with alpha to last many, many generations of encode although technically not 100% mathmatically loss. only disney would worry about 10-20 generations down the road with EXR half float. there's magicuv 10 bit(buy), don't know if hitfilm supports it. maybe, because it's a video for windows. png is only 8 bit, but if your video is only 8 bit, than it shouldn't matter.

if you're referring to the list of adobe permanent codecs natively supported because of 32-bit QuickTime Support Ending:
https://forums.adobe.com/message/9895214#9895214

Native Video Import:
* DNxHD/DNxHR
* JPEG
* PNG
* ProRes
* Cineform
* DV
* AVCI
* h264
* IMX
* MPEG2