FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video editing proxy for the simple folk?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph M. Cutcher
Video editing proxy for the simple folk?
on Nov 20, 2017 at 10:02:21 pm

I need help with understanding proxy settings, and to that end here is my situation:

I make simple help videos as a hobby. These videos are for video games usually, and don't require much from me. Editing them is slow in their native format, and all i want is a video proxy that eliminates the crawl that i usually experience when editing in adobe.

- i don't care about color, i don't understand most of that anyway.
- i just want a proxy ingest/encoder that is fast to create, and makes editing faster.
- since proxy files are just temporary, and i'm the only one seeing them, and i don't mess with colors or stuff...then that means the quality doesn't much matter for me right?

I use windows 10, and the video usually has multiple stereo audio tracks. So far I've been using QuickTIme GoPro Cineform at the lowest quality settings to keep the creation of the proxy fast. I wonder if there are better formats or codecs for me though, that are faster and better.

To give you an idea of what i do, here are two videos i made - not necessarily with adobe.

and

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Video editing proxy for the simple folk?
on Nov 20, 2017 at 10:18:59 pm

cineform is faster than dnxhd and prores, so I'm not really sure how far you can go from here. if you don't need 10 bit, you could try quicktime photojpeg or png, those work on slow cpu's and slow hard drives. I haven't compared them directly against cineform so can't say for certain which is faster.

Return to posts index

Joseph M. Cutcher
on Nov 20, 2017 at 10:22:46 pm

https://i.imgur.com/ugHIle3.png

i'm a bit confused, in the preset i see them as 1 thing, but you suggest they are two separate things? cineform and pro res.

i don't see either in the format either so i'm not sure what you're talking about.

Return to posts index

Joseph M. Cutcher
on Nov 20, 2017 at 10:23:50 pm

nvm that says Go Pro not Pro Res...i don't see a ProRes anywhere.

but thanks for the input, are there any downsides to the alternative that you mentioned?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 20, 2017 at 10:45:16 pm

only downside is they are 8 bit, but if you captured in 8 bit, it doesn't matter. png is usually larger file size than photojpeg as you can set photojpeg quality slider down pretty far.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 21, 2017 at 2:56:25 am

you won't see pro res anywhere because you're on a windows machine and pro res is only on mac.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]