FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to transcode above 20Mbps?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brad hebert
Unable to transcode above 20Mbps?
on Apr 14, 2017 at 4:12:44 pm
Last Edited By brad hebert on Apr 14, 2017 at 9:33:15 pm

I have a .mov MPEG-4 at 393Mbps. I want to transcode it to a .mp4 h.264 at 30Mbps, but the highest I can get is around 20Mbps. I have tried VBR and CBR, and I've even cranked the bit rate slider up over 100Mbps. Can someone explain this?

Edit: Actually, if I set the target to 100Mbps, it does end up around 31Mbps. But I'd still like to know what's going on.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Unable to transcode above 20Mbps?
on Apr 17, 2017 at 5:32:43 pm

Most likely scenario is that since you are recompressing from a lower to higher bitrate, the source video being already compressed, the encoder is only using as much data as needed to re-encode the material. Encoding to a higher data rate would yield no possible increase in quality, thus the resulting low bit rate.

What you are trying to do is similar having a text document and trying to make a new version of it that is larger, but that would be impossible without adding more words, if that makes sense.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

brad hebert
on Apr 17, 2017 at 5:34:30 pm

The source is actually a large Animation codec, around 250Mbps.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 17, 2017 at 5:43:36 pm

Oops, misread the original, thus my response. Got new trifocals last week, but sent them back due to a problem with the frames. Helps to see what I'm reading...

So what kind of video content? Maybe the content doesn't warrant a high bit rate as the encoder sees it? It's going to try to be efficient in compressing the content.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

brad hebert
on Apr 17, 2017 at 5:48:12 pm

Yeah, my guess is that the software is not using more data than needed for the simple image content. But I know it is possible to force higher bitrates. For example, FFmpeg seems to do that. But I need a solution with a decent GUI.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]