FORUMS: list search recent posts

which codec for a 4k high quality YouTube upload?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niki An
which codec for a 4k high quality YouTube upload?
on Mar 17, 2017 at 5:19:12 pm

Hello everyone, I'm having a kind of special problem - at least I couldn't find any threads about it. I need to upload several very short videos (about 10 seconds long) in 2160p/4k to YouTube in a very high quality.

With 1080p/HD Videos, I uploaded them in using Avid DNxHD-185, which looked a lot better than h264 uploads with 20 Mbit/s. H264 uploads always gave me bad results, regardless of the bitrate. It's really about preserving details, and uploading the video in DNxHD did a great job without producing a super excessive filesize. For example, my 10 sec video hat 220Mb in DNxHD. Now in 4k, I can't use DNxHD though, and as I work on a Windows pc, I can't export them as ProRes.
As 4k YouTube videos are new to me, I'm struggling to find an alternative codec that's as good as ProRes, but available for Windows. Filesize isn't that much of an issue as the videos are short, but a 10 sec 4k MOV with Animation codec produces a 5.5Gb big file, which is too much to upload. Tried using Meridien Compressed, which for some reason crashes After Effects. Does anyone have an idea, which codec would be the right one for the job?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: which codec for a 4k high quality YouTube upload?
on Apr 8, 2017 at 3:52:05 pm

If you want to stay in the Avid DNx world you'll need to move DNxHR. It's suitable for 4K deliberables. As the DNxHD codec is named, it only covers resolutions up to HD. DNxHR is what Avid released as workflows changed.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Niki An
Re: which codec for a 4k high quality YouTube upload?
on Apr 8, 2017 at 4:30:41 pm

Thank you for your reply. I didn't even know DNxHR existed, as the installed Avid LE codecs pack apparently was quite old.
In the meantime, I switched from After Effects to Nuke, as it didn't matter which program I used for the job, but Nuke supported exporting in ProRes on a Windows PC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]