FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best intermediate format with alpha

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marten Köpp
Best intermediate format with alpha
on Mar 6, 2017 at 2:02:37 pm

Hi guys,

While working on a product movie I noticed my sincere lack of knowledge about formats, codecs, compression etc. So I thought it might be time to jump into the unknown. But since my current project can't wait for my brains to soak up everything there is to know about this subject I would like to know the following:

I am working on a project where I need to render out into intermediate files to go from After Effects to Premiere (no I don't like Dynamic Link). While I already done some research and found out DNxHD MXF OP1 (RGB 444 10-bits) is a great format for intermediate files, I also notice this one doesn't support Alpha channels. So I figured trying out OPENEXR would be a good alternative. But then I got confused, do I really need to use multiple formats?

What would be a good all-round format to use for intermediate files? Or, if I need to use multiple, what formats would be good for 1080p animations.

And, for the future, who can point me in the right direction regarding the compression. There is a lot of info about this subject but I am looking for a good source that tells me everything but in a nutt-shell. Any tips?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Best intermediate format with alpha
on Mar 6, 2017 at 5:51:36 pm

Mac or PC?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Marten Köpp
on Mar 7, 2017 at 9:26:35 am

PC. So I sadly can not use Prores ☹

Regards,
Martern

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 7, 2017 at 2:49:49 pm

Hi Marten,

Choose QuickTime as the Format and for Preset use GoPro Cineform RGB12-bit with alpha

Of course, make sure to set frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect, and fields to match your source.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Marten Köpp
on Mar 8, 2017 at 8:35:06 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks! I have tried that and it looks good so far.

Regards,

Marten

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]