FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding MTS to anything else - audio becomes noise

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paolo Mongillo
Encoding MTS to anything else - audio becomes noise
on Feb 6, 2017 at 1:28:15 pm

Dear all, as by the title, I am trying to encode MTS files (from an ACVHD file) to a low res proxy for editing. However, while I can play the MTS videos in VLC / quicktime without problems, the audio of the encoded files is just a high volume white noise.

I know similar problems have been discussed before and I've tried most of the solutions suggested, such as, importing the files to Adobe Media Encoder from within the ACVHD folder (not the ACVHD file itself though - it's more than 100 GB and it would not load it)... Nothing seems to work. Any idea?

I use an iMac with Premiere Pro CS4 and the associated Media Encoder.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Encoding MTS to anything else - audio becomes noise
on Feb 6, 2017 at 5:44:52 pm

Sometimes Premiere has issues in properly handling certain formats, depending on import method used. Best practice will be to copy ALL contents of SD card to your hard drive (make a New Folder for it). Then in Premiere, import via Media Browser - do not use File > Import.

Media Browser will use metadata included from SD card folders to properly interpret and handle most types of media. If you previously imported only the .mts files alone, that may contribute to the issue you had. If you try again using Media Browser, use a New Project or Premiere may still try to use original files from before and problem will remain.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Feb 8, 2017 at 2:08:10 am

Hi Jeff,
Can you specify what you mean by "import through media browser"?
When I am in media browser I can "right-click" on a folder or file and the pop-up menu offers "import."
If I am in a project file I can "right-click" on a folder and the pop-up menu offers "import."
Does this make a difference from "import" in the main menu in terms of formats and metadata?
Is there another way?

Thanks,
Robert
Mac, using CC "2013"

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Feb 8, 2017 at 2:19:29 am

Jeff, can you specify what you mean by "import through media browser"?
When I am in media browser I can "right-click" on a folder or file and the pop-up menu offers "import."
If I am in a project file I can "right-click" on a folder and the pop-up menu offers "import."
Does this make a difference in terms of metadata?
Also when I click on the Sony "private" file I get "media not supported."
Mac CC "2013"
Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Feb 8, 2017 at 2:50:39 pm

Hi Robert,

You are using old, obsolete software with CS4, so it may not even fully support the format you are trying to edit.

That said, using Media Browser with any Premiere version has many benefits. For instance, long recordings of AVCHD may break up the recording into smaller chunks. By using Media Browser to import, Premiere will bring in the pieces as one continuous clip with no gaps in it. Audio is another thing that can benefit from this import method in many cases. This will not happen with "File > Import".

Honestly, I was not even aware of the "right-click and Import" in Media Browser. I simply dig down through AVCHD folder structure until it starts finding my clips. Then I multi-select the ones I want and drag them to the timeline or Project Bin.

That's about all I can tell you. If by any means you could get into a newer version of Premiere, I have no doubt that would help the situation. As I recall, CS4 was just a buggy version that was never quite right to start with. Think Windows Vista for instance.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]