I am trying to compress an mxf file to a quicktime (mov) file on the media enconder. Problem is that everytime it converts the file, the quicktime (mov) ends up being heavier than the raw mxf file. For example if my raw mxf file was 21GB the new compressed quicktime file is 99GB. Can anyone help me? Thanks!
Mike, thanks so much for responding. Yes, the purpose of my compression is transcoding for edit.
On regards to your second question, I am honestly not at all sure. Please bear with me, I am new with all of this.
The codec that appears on the original file is (.mxf). The material inside is audio and video (mostly video) from a short film I shot last year. We used a SonyFS7 that shot on 4K. My idea was to transcode all the files, work them on adobe premiere pro and when finished the editing take the project to an editing room to link it with the orginal files so I could have it on 4k.
Weird thing is that a month and a half ago I compressed these files on the media encoder and everything worked perfect. I compressed them from the .mxf to a quicktime the exact way I am doing them now. As a matter a fact I have almost half of the editing done. But, last week my computer updated itself out of nowhere and when I tried to open up my applications I couldn´t. Luckily, I had saved everything beforehand. So, I made a backup of all the material, formatted the computer and installed windows 10. Then I put back all the material that I had backed up on an external hard disc on to the computer. When I reinstalled the adobe premiere I opened up the project that I was working and it asked me to locate the files. And so it did. But out of let´s say the seventy or more files, six of those files could not be linked because they appeared to be empty or to have an error. These files that I mention are all the ones that were already compressed from the .mxf to a quicktime. I couldn´t open them on premiere or on vlc or on the windows media player. So I went to the original files (the .mxf) and tried to open them and they opened up perfectly. That´s when I decided to transcode them again to quicktime. But everytime I do this the file size appears to be gigantic compared to the original.