FORUMS: list search recent posts

MAJOR PROBLEMS: Crashes, Panics & Encode Stops in Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Mac
MAJOR PROBLEMS: Crashes, Panics & Encode Stops in Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017
on Dec 17, 2016 at 4:00:02 pm

Hey Creative Cow Forums,

New to the forums here. I'm writing to you in great frustration as I have no idea what is causing the tremendous amount of problems that I am having between Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017 and my new Late 2015 iMac. I was having constant kernel panics while encodes were taking place in AME CC 2017 a few weeks ago and, per Adobe's advice, ended up swapping out the iMac I was using for a new one. Now I am facing many of the same problems on the new iMac.

My specs are as follows: Retina 5K 27-inch Late 2015 iMac, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M395X Graphics Card. I am editing on a 4K sequence within Premiere with both 4K footage and 1080 footage. I am exporting to 4K H.264 with Max Render Quality ON (I am upscaling 1080 footage to 4K) and Max Depth ON (I use quite a few title cards and graphics with shadows in the sequence) by queuing the export to Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017.

After I queue to AME, one of three things happens 90% of the time: 1) I leave the iMac alone so that AME can encode, but the encode within AME will randomly stop encoding. I have witnessed my CPU randomly drop to 1% or 2% (down from 40%) and the encode simply just hangs on a single frame (as I can see in the output preview). The time elapsed and estimated time remaining continue to climb so AME itself does not appear to be "frozen." I have tried encodes with both "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" and "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL)" selected. 2) While doing some other task on my iMac as AME is encoding, a kernel panic will randomly occur. The iMac will restart by itself and I get the kernel panic message upon automatic machine restart. 3) Even when I am not using the iMac but an encode is taking place in AME, I will come back to my computer in a few hours to notice the iMac has kernel panicked on its own and has restarted.

To conclude, one of three things is happening during nearly all of my AME exports: 1) A kernel panic occurs while using an iMac, 2) A kernel panic occurs while not using the iMac, or 3) A "stuck" encode within AME that does not progress. I have swapped my RAM, swapped my external hard drives, completely deleted and reinstalled Adobe Creative Cloud, and even have purchased a completely difference machine and I am STILL having the same issues. What could possibly be the cause of this and how can I fix it? All of my system specifications suggest that I should have no problems as I meet the Premiere Pro and Adobe Media Encoder system requirements. I never expected a high-end machine like this with Adobe software to be so faulty.

Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: MAJOR PROBLEMS: Crashes, Panics & Encode Stops in Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017
on Dec 17, 2016 at 7:24:35 pm

create new administrator account and use premiere from there. also fix your permissions issue.
http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/09/10/premiere-pro-cc-freezing-on-...

Return to posts index

Brian Mac
Re: MAJOR PROBLEMS: Crashes, Panics & Encode Stops in Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017
on Dec 17, 2016 at 7:35:42 pm

Thank you very much for the quick response, Chris. I have not yet heard of this suggestion and will try it now.

Just to confirm - I am creating a new administrator account and fixing the permissions (per the URL instructions) on that new account after fresh-installing Premiere and AME on it or should I try fixing the permissions on the administrator account I am currently using first? Thank you very much for your help.

Return to posts index

Brian Mac
on Dec 18, 2016 at 3:31:17 am

Thanks again for your help, Chris. I realized I did not need to re-install Adobe Premiere Pro or Adobe Media Encoder on the new administrator account. I fixed the permissions as outlined in the article you posted on the new administrator account and created a batch list of exports within AME to test. The first export finished without a problem (this sometimes happens but more often does not). The second export in the batch list, however, got around half-way complete and once again stopped. Toggling the pause/resume button does not make the export start again. It is once again hanging. Any other ideas on what could be causing this and how I can go about fixing it? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 18, 2016 at 3:41:52 am

try changing preferences from performance to memory.
and render out to prores hq then import the master and render out final h.264. this might fix the running of of memory crash.

other things to try:

1. delete your preferences ALT+SHIFT held down (on Windows), or OPT+SHIFT mac while reopening premiere.
2. remove In and Out marks set before dragging footage onto timeline
3. voiding using the Morph Cut transition
4. close Chrome and all its services
4. update gfx drivers
5. update all adobe software to latest whatever it is.
7. remove all cross-dissolves
8. clear media cache folder
9. import using only media browser
10. check for red giant plugins that need updating
11. import sequence into new sequence might be corrupt
12. remove appnap program
13. Disconnect any third party hardware like monitors (these sometimes crash as dual monitor setups)
14.in you BIOS, have AMD Turbo Core fully DISABLED

Return to posts index

Brian Mac
on Dec 18, 2016 at 4:22:25 am

Thanks again for your quick response, Chris. You have already proven to be more helpful and faster than Adobe Technical Support and the Adobe Forums.

Of your list of thing to try, I have done all of them except for the ones that do not pertain to Mac (#4 - most updated Mac OS already installed as this is the only way to update drivers, and #14 - there is no BIOS on Mac). I will be in touch soon to let you know how everything goes.

Return to posts index

Brian Mac
on Dec 18, 2016 at 4:42:29 am

Hi, Chris. Well, that didn't take very long. Around 5 minutes into the export I experienced yet another kernel panic while I was clicking a link on a webpage. This is after I tried all of your suggestions above. I do have a kernel panic log if that helps to determine the cause of this issue? Otherwise, is there anything else that I can do to attempt to fix this?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 19, 2016 at 5:47:12 am

at this point, you will need to narrow down what is causing the issue. transcode a test file to dnxhd with prelude before importing into premiere. do no effects, render test for 10 minutes. if that crashes, you're looking at possible hardware conflict/failure.

http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2012/10/11/smart-rendering-in-premiere-...

Return to posts index

Brian Mac
on Jan 6, 2017 at 6:34:17 pm

Thanks for your help, Chris. As it turns out, it seems as though the problems I am experiencing is an OS issue specific to macOS Sierra 10.12.x. After going back and forth with Apple tech support for quite some time, Apple Engineering did get back to me to confirm that they are aware of these graphics problems causing panics/crashes within macOS Sierra. A workaround that I have been using is partitioning my hard drive with an El Capitan partition and booting into El Capitan to conduct my exporting/editing there. Such a workaround has lead to zero crashes or panics. Although not ideal and rather upsetting, the El Capitan workaround does seem to be the only 100% stable option right now when it comes to PP and AME editing and exporting. Let's hope Apple delivers the OS update soon to fix these issues!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]