FORUMS: list search recent posts

MAC PRO with 64gb RAM keeps crashing when trying to create proxies to edit 4k footage

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve Moore
MAC PRO with 64gb RAM keeps crashing when trying to create proxies to edit 4k footage
on Sep 4, 2016 at 7:25:20 pm

Hi guys,

I have just filmed my first wedding in 4k and having a nightmare with just trying to get to a point where I can even begin editing. I have a 2013 ma pro with full 64gb ram so thought it should easily handle some 4k editing-however it seems not. Premiere keeps crashing when simply try to import footage...so i thought ok i'll create proxies and edit with them, however media encoder also cant handle it and freezes, with all 64gb of ram being used and message coming up saying no memory left... what am i doing wrong? I presumed that with one of the most powerful computers out there this would handle 4k comfortabley? Any help appreciated!!

Return to posts index

steve Moore
Re: MAC PRO with 64gb RAM keeps crashing when trying to create proxies to edit 4k footage
on Sep 11, 2016 at 8:57:52 pm

HI guys, still hoping for help/advice, its the 6 core mac pro (2013) upgraded to 64gb ram.
Thanks, steve

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: MAC PRO with 64gb RAM keeps crashing when trying to create proxies to edit 4k footage
on Sep 17, 2016 at 1:42:38 pm

More details would help....what type of footage are you shooting? What drive(s) is it stored on? How are those drives connected to your computer? What type of graphics card(s) are you running? Are you using the software renderer in Adobe? CUDA? OpenCL? Have you purged your Media Cache? What version of Adobe software are the running? Is it compatible/support the type of footage you need to process?

When transcoding media what are your steps? Are you copying footage to local machine first then importing to AME? Are you transcoding footage directly from SD/CF/CFast card? What other software do you having running while transcoding?

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

steve Moore
on Sep 22, 2016 at 7:53:24 am

Thanks for getting back to me Ryan.
I am shooting mainly weddings in 4k on a Panasonic G7.
Move it from my sd card to a sandisk extreme 500 SSD connected by USB.
Graphics card is AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB.
I have the latest adobe software and have purged cache.
I am attempting to transcode from External SSD using adobe media encoder 2015.3 and it gets through a few clips before message saying need more RAM to continue (i have the max of 64!!)

Hope that is helpful in trying to help me figure out whats going on!
Thanks for any input/advice,

Steve

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Sep 22, 2016 at 8:14:25 pm

[steve Moore] "I am shooting mainly weddings in 4k on a Panasonic G7."

4k h.264 footage can certainly be a challenge to edit. h.264 is a notoriously PITA codec to work with as an editable, imo.

[steve Moore] "Move it from my sd card to a sandisk extreme 500 SSD connected by USB. Graphics card is AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB."

I'm assuming this is a USB 3.0 connection as I'm guessing you have a nMP trashcan based on these GPU's. If so, have to tried copying the footage over to a Thunderbolt drive? Do you get the same crash?

[steve Moore] "I am attempting to transcode from External SSD using adobe media encoder 2015.3 and it gets through a few clips before message saying need more RAM to continue (i have the max of 64!!)"

Adobe has a well noted memory leak among the AMD chipsets. I haven't been able to reproduce consistently enough, but this has happened on several of our nMP's too. I generally recommend setting your destination deliverable to a different drive than your source material. You can also switch over to the "software renderer"....might be slower, but it might still get the job done. Also, have you tried using Prelude as an intermediary? That may or may not help....

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]