FORUMS: list search recent posts

x264 half quality comapred to compressor or qt7

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Travers
x264 half quality comapred to compressor or qt7
on Feb 4, 2016 at 5:09:56 am

Hello

I am new to this specific forum and I usually do compression for web review of color with x264 codec using compressor or qt7. Today I thought to try the latest CC media encoder and make a few presets of similar settings. I found the full quality half res 960x540 was huge compared to compressor and when trying to get its file size down to smaller compressor version the noise and quality went WAY down. What setting am i doing wrong in media encoder. With compressor I am able to make a 300mb 9600x540 file that looks decent for a 25min show. I try what looks to be similar setting in media encoder nut poor quality for same file size, i know its a check box or something stupid on my part just looking for a nudge in the right direction.

Best
Colin

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: x264 half quality comapred to compressor or qt7
on Feb 4, 2016 at 3:02:00 pm

Without knowing the settings you've selected in Compressor or AME people here can't really offer much direction. In general - the higher the data rate the better quality the end result is and the larger the file size. The lower the data rate the less quality in the end result and the smaller the overall file size is.

The are inherent tradeoffs in any and all encoding apps (Compressor, AME, Squeeze, Episode, etc). It's just the nature of the business.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Colin Travers
Re: x264 half quality comapred to compressor or qt7
on Feb 5, 2016 at 3:10:46 am

Hey Ryan,

Sorry for not being clearer. See below link for grabs of my QT7, Compressor and ME settings. So with the first apple apps when i do the compression i get very nice results, with those settings. I am just trying to get same file size and quality with matching settings in Media Encoder.

I know I am missing something here just hoping its a check box. I also find similar results with Handbrake but would like to start incorporating ME if its good because of GPU use its a little faster than Compressor threading and qt7. I have tried dialing the quality slider around on different exports but no luck getting it to match the size and quality of those apple apps.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nwkcov3zehw77k4/AAD0f14OS991N85Sm-a94ilra?dl=0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]