FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 Stereo Pair ProRes to single stereo H.264

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Bonnett
2 Stereo Pair ProRes to single stereo H.264
on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:31:14 pm

Hi all,

sorry if this has been answered somewhere already but my perfunctory search hasn't revealed anything.

I've got a Quicktime edit that I've produced in Premiere with two stereo tracks on it, i.e voice on 1+2 music on 3+4. The quicktime file recognises this and plays back fine. However when I encode out of Media Encoder to get an h.264 to go onto the web I'm only getting 1+2 on the encodes. What am I missing in order to get Media Encoder to do a mixdown to a stereo file on output?

Episode Pro which I normally use has a channel mapper is there something similar in Media Encoder? This meant I could say send both 1+2 and 3+4 to channels 1+2 in the final h264.

Once again thanks for all the help guys and girls.

Return to posts index

Jack Bonnett
Re: 2 Stereo Pair ProRes to single stereo H.264
on Dec 22, 2015 at 3:48:16 pm

Sorry to bump this but I'm still having the same issue.

The Source when I put it in Media Encoder says, 1920x1080 (1.0) 25fps, Progressive 48000 Hz 4 Channel

so it recognises that there are multiple audio channels there.

The Media Encoder Manual says that it will automatically downmix available channels if Stereo output is selected. Which it is (Output: 1920x1080 (1.0) Progressive VBR, AAC 320kbps 48kHz, Stereo).

However instead of downmixing Media Encoder is still just throwing away the two channels of audio that contain the pieces music. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Dec 22, 2015 at 6:23:37 pm

Are you transcoding from a master or linking the Premiere Project to AME? Have you tried exporting H.264 from Premiere? How does the audio sound/look in the Premiere Pro Audio Mixer panel?

Return to posts index

Jack Bonnett
on Dec 23, 2015 at 11:24:18 am

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to transcode from a ProRes 422 master with uncompressed audio played out of a premiere multichannel audio sequence.

On my timeline I have 8 audio tracks. A1 and A2 have interviewee 1's dialogue edit A3 and A4 have interviewee 2's voice edit A5 has sound effects A6 has a stereo music track and so does A7. A8 is currently empty. The Audio track mixer is set to send A1, A2, A3 and A4 (all centred) to 1+2 and A5,A6,A7 to 3+4.

The file that I am getting out of Premiere is giving me what I was wanting, which is to say a ProRes file with the interviewees dialogue cut on a stereo track and the sound effects and music on another one. I can now where necessary put the ProRes playout into another project and remove the music to just use the interview.

However when I encode this ProRes file through media encoder to upload to the web etc I'm only getting the interview dialogue out the other end and not the music etc too.

Once again thanks for the response.

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Dec 23, 2015 at 12:22:26 pm

[Jack Bonnett] "The Audio track mixer is set to send A1, A2, A3 and A4 (all centred) to 1+2 and A5,A6,A7 to 3+4."

OK, thanks for the explanation. Please post a screen capture of your AME audio export settings.

If there isn't a simple solution in AME you could create a new sequence in Premiere Pro and export with 2-channel audio.

Return to posts index

Jack Bonnett
on Dec 23, 2015 at 1:58:44 pm

As you can see Media Encoder recognises that the source has 4 channels of audio so thats ok. The output is set to stereo, which is what I'd like and the media encoder manual says

"Specify how many audio channels are in the exported file. If you choose fewer channels than are in the master track of a sequence or project, Adobe Media Encoder downmixes the audio."

except it's not. It's just ditching two of the channels so I'm only getting voice.

Once again thanks for looking at this!

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Dec 24, 2015 at 5:39:01 am

You seem to have everything set properly; perhaps someone with more intimate knowledge can comment. From a troubleshooting perspective I would try transcoding the ProRes file to H.264 with Premiere Pro and QuickTime Pro or Compressor, if available.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]