FORUMS: list search recent posts

is it possible to render over many days, shutting pc down in between?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jarrick Harris
is it possible to render over many days, shutting pc down in between?
on Nov 22, 2015 at 2:21:13 pm

Hi all,

I've got a rescaled movie to render from AE cc with Media Encoder cc and it's saying the remaining time is 84:21:15 - which I'm assuming means over 84 hours.

So what would be ideal is if I could just have it rendering in the background over the week, whenever I have the pc running - i.e. for it to be able to automatically restart from where it left off whenever I restart the pc.

What would be even better is if it could limit it's cpu usage while I'm using AE or other hungry programs.

I've heard that you can use "watch folders" for using media encoder in the background while working on AE but don't know if you have to keep the pc running the whole time it's rendering or not. Or if you can set system resourse priorities for it at all.

does anyone else here know?

cheers

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: is it possible to render over many days, shutting pc down in between?
on Nov 23, 2015 at 10:55:46 pm

[Jarrick Harris] "I've heard that you can use "watch folders" for using media encoder in the background while working on AE but don't know if you have to keep the pc running the whole time it's rendering or not. Or if you can set system resourse priorities for it at all."

Watch folders just automate jobs starting and having certain presets tied to a given watch folder. Once a job starts you need to leave your machine running. You cannot start and stop your encode. However, it is possible to "Pause" your encode within the encoder. That would allow you to pause it whenever you needed to work in AE or other graphically intense programs. But keep in mind that pausing it will lengthen encode times as it's waiting to start encoding again until you tell it to "Play." Regardless, your computer cannot turn off.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Jarrick Harris
on Nov 24, 2015 at 9:17:57 am

Thanks for the reply,

it's a pity it's not possible as it would be a handy feature for those who don't have separate pc's just for rendering and would protect against crashes or power cuts etc.

cheers

Return to posts index

Andy Rider
on Nov 26, 2015 at 8:56:56 am

Hi Jarrick,

Why not render it out as an uncompressed frame sequence in different chunks then encode the sequence into whatever format you need it in afterwards.

Also if you are running Windows you can cntrl-alt-delete to open the task manager. Then go to the details tab, find the Media Encoder process (sort by CPU usage), right click and set priority to low or set affinity to only use a couple of processor threads/cores.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]