FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting an unusual sized video for event projection

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Tucker
Exporting an unusual sized video for event projection
on Oct 17, 2015 at 3:15:02 pm

Hello Creative Cow community

I have been asked to create a video that will be projected onto the wall of a public venue, for which I will use After Effects as it is a "Welcome" screen with graphics and images.

However, the company will be using 2 HD projectors side by side, with a small overlap - thus I will need to create an image that will be 1080x3553. This is a very unusual request for me - so I would like some advice on the best export settings and codecs for delivery for such a project. At the moment the info is pretty scant, but I am assuming they will just be running the video on a loop from a computer and they haven't specified a delivery codec yet, so I am just sounding out options in case they don't request something specific. Many codecs that I usually deliver on seem to have format restraints and wont export the needed pixel resolution - such as h.264.

Any general advice on this would be helpful :)

Thanks

James

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Exporting an unusual sized video for event projection
on Oct 20, 2015 at 10:18:38 pm

[James Tucker] "thus I will need to create an image that will be 1080x3553"

I'm assuming you mean that 1080 is your width here (typically listed first) and 3553 is your height. If so, you're correct, h.264 doesn't have capability for that resolution. You would need to use something JPEG, ProRes, or DNxHR. Since you're handing it off to somebody else, I'd guess JPEG is best codec of choice for this project. However, you should really run some tests to verify that their system will properly playback the file that you encode.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

James Tucker
on Oct 21, 2015 at 2:18:25 pm

Thanks Ryan. I actually meant 3553x1080 - my bad! It will be 2 projectors side by side creating a very wide image.

I have done some tests and Quicktime Motion JPEG and MPEG-4 seem to work very well. But just wanted to see if anyone had some tips for export settings for this kind of video. Hopefully I have it all sorted now! :)

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Oct 21, 2015 at 8:19:17 pm

[James Tucker] "I actually meant 3553x1080 - my bad!"

If this is true then you can use h.264 to encode your video. You'll need to set your Level to 5.2 as that's the spec that defined 4K for h.264. That Level 5.2 setting can handle UHD resolution 3840x2160. Your resolution is clearly under that so you'll just need to unlink the height and width and type in what you need.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]