FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encode Quickly to Lower Quality for Review

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Benzler
Encode Quickly to Lower Quality for Review
on Oct 7, 2015 at 8:03:35 pm

Hey guys, have a noob question here. I have 40+ 80gig .mov files on an external hard drive (G-drive 2TB w/FW800) that are too big for my team members to open on their work computers (8gig, i5 Dells) to review for edits (RAM gets bogged down on open or transfer).

I am encoding these videos from the hard drive to a lower quality using the YouTube 720p preset on a 2014 Macbook (16gig ram, 2.2GHz i7, 1536Mb Iris Pro Graphics) but the encoding is taking 2.5hrs per video. Are there any protips you guys have to speed up the encoding?

I don't care about the exported video quality as long as my team can watch the video and take notes for the editing team. We are on deadline and I can't afford to be encoding these videos for the next 2 days.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Encode Quickly to Lower Quality for Review
on Oct 7, 2015 at 9:30:31 pm

[Daniel Benzler] "2014 Macbook (16gig ram, 2.2GHz i7, 1536Mb Iris Pro Graphics) "

[Daniel Benzler] "Are there any protips you guys have to speed up the encoding? "

Get a beefier computer. I'm assuming you meant MacBook Pro, which is fine for editing or rough cuts, but if you're looking for fast encodes or realtime playback while doing motion graphics or color work a MBP is not up to the task. They don't have enough horsepower. If you're actually doing this on a MacBook (not a Pro), then I'm amazed that it's only taking 2.5 hours to encode!

Encodes are determined by:
(1) Source Footage codec
(2) Encode settings
(3) CPU power of the machine (both speed and number of cores)
(4) GPU power of the machine (taking advantage of OpenCL or CUDA)
(5) Speed of the media device reading the data
(6) Speed of the media device writing the data

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Daniel Benzler
on Oct 8, 2015 at 1:21:29 pm

Thank Ryan, probably should have mentioned it is a Macbook Pro - I nabbed one from our design team to do the job. Being predominately a PC user I didn't realize that they all aren't a Macbook Pro.

I switched the preset to YouTube 420P SD Wide and brought the processing down to 45 min each video.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Oct 8, 2015 at 1:14:42 pm

One thing that will speed it up a bit is to have it write the new files to a different drive than the one it is reading from, so the drive is not doing double duty.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

Daniel Benzler
on Oct 8, 2015 at 1:23:00 pm

Thanks! That is what I am doing right now, going from the G-drive to a WD 1tb SSD external drive. Hopefully that could knock 5 minutes off of each video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]