FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colour shifts and questionable uploading quality

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliot Beach
Colour shifts and questionable uploading quality
on Sep 11, 2015 at 11:18:53 am

Hi there,

So I know this has been talked about before but I could never really find a solution.

I just graded a music promo in resolve and exported the individual clips to ProRes 4444 & XML back to premier pro to add a few things, I.e titles etc.

If I click on the ‘view clip in finder’ and play the 4444 the colors don’t look as punchy although they look fine in the PP viewer. So I know that QuickTime has the issues with gamma and making images seem slightly washed out so I accepted what I saw on PP over the QT view.

I then exported the timeline 3 times to do some tests. A ProRes 4444, Pro Res 422hq and uncompressed 10bit.

1. 4444 – Looks washed out/desaturated in QT and just shows green overlay in VLC. Shows correctly if imported back into PP.
2. 422 – Looks washed out/desaturated in QT, but shows CORRECT colors in VLC. Shows correctly if imported back into PP.
3. Uncompressed – Shows correct colors in both players.

A sub question is there any fix to make them all show it accurately?

But my main concern is how they look when I upload them online.

I tried all the versions and none really show even close the accurate colors.

For example, I used apple compressor to compress the uncompressed 10bit version to H.264.mp4 at 720p & 1080p. They play fine on VLC and the colors look how I graded them. But when I upload it to Facebook and YouTube the colors change again becoming desaturated and slightly washed out.

Tried AME and Handbrake as well. Still the same issues.

Is this Facebook/YouTube encoder causing the issues? How can I counter it to get as accurate colors as possible on the media sites?

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]