FORUMS: list search recent posts

Additional encoders into Adobe Media Encoder?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Harrison
Additional encoders into Adobe Media Encoder?
on Sep 4, 2015 at 6:22:39 pm

I want to install additional encoders into Adobe Media Encoder. I am referring to Pro Res, Go Pro, Mov, and Netflix. I have CS6 but in my encoder, those encodes are not there. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Additional encoders into Adobe Media Encoder?
on Sep 11, 2015 at 2:54:14 pm

You can download the ProRes codecs from Apple's website and install them on your system (provided you're running a Mac, if you're on a PC you can't write ProRes files). With GoPro the Cineform codec that they developed was bundled with CC2014 I think. I would assume you could download that as well and install it.

As for Netflix, that's not a codec. You just need to built a preset to the specifications that Netflix requires and encode that. And to be more specific your list above conflates formats, codecs, and presets together. They are different things:

Codec = compression/decompression (such as ProRes, DNxHD, Cineform, JPEG 2000, etc). These can be added to your system via downloads from the codec developers website usually (sometimes these are paid proprietary items)
Format = Quicktime Movie, MXF, WAV
Preset = a predetermined list of settings that combines the format and codec used to create a new derivative file

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Laurence Bartone
on Sep 29, 2015 at 11:40:57 pm
Last Edited By Laurence Bartone on Sep 29, 2015 at 11:46:03 pm

Thanks, Ryan. I had the same issue, so I downloaded the codecs from Apple (ProRes_Presets.zip), unzipped them and put the folder into the folder with Adobe Media Encoder (in it's own folder). I then imported them, but when I try to use them, I get that the preset is incompatible with the present preset...
No idea why or what settings to use. I'm trying to do this with Quicktime in Media Encoder CS6. Any help?

bartone.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Sep 30, 2015 at 12:22:18 am

It depends on what version of Mac OS you're running as to where the codecs are stored. If you're installing them to the same spot as Media Encoder (Macintosh HD/Applications/ then that's not going to work.

If you're running on 10.8.X or earlier the codecs should be installed here: /Mackintosh HD/Library/Quicktime/

Downloading the .pkg file directly from Apple assumes that you have one or more of their Pro Video apps installed on your system (Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Compressor). The installer will look for those apps when installing. If you don't have those apps you'll need to use the workaround method presented in this video:

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Laurence Bartone
on Sep 30, 2015 at 1:39:04 am

Wow - that was a long work-around, but it works. The Apple ProRes 422 plays flawlessly on Premiere Pro CS6. Thanks! Now, what's the difference between ProRes 422, 422LT, etc... (it's always something...)

bartone.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Sep 30, 2015 at 2:11:18 am

[Laurence Bartone] "Now, what's the difference between ProRes 422, 422LT, etc... (it's always something...)"

They're different quality levels depending on your needs. For the majority of jobs ProRes 422 or 422(LT) will be fine. If you need higher quality due to extensive color grading, visual effects, motion graphics, etc there's HQ, 4x4, and XQ. I don't ever shoot much more than standard 422...it holds up great. For the detailed breakdown read through Apple's ProRes white paper:

https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Apple_ProRes_White_Paper.pdf

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]