FORUMS: list search recent posts

Youtube Preset

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
Youtube Preset
on Jul 24, 2015 at 11:04:32 pm

The Youtube preset is set on progressive, but my source video is upper-field first. Should I change setting on the Youtube preset to upper-field first or ignore and go on with progressive?

According to Youtube FAQ, they want progressive video. On the other hand, I always want to follow field order from source to output. Thanks! God bless.

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Youtube Preset
on Jul 25, 2015 at 9:25:37 pm

For Internet delivery you want to de-interlace your footage. Since people viewing your material on YouTube will all be using progressive scan screen (laptops, phones, tablets, etc). Stick with what the preset has because interlaced footage on YouTube tends to look terrible, imho, and you need to de-interlace that content for web delivery.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Jul 25, 2015 at 11:34:51 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "interlaced footage on YouTube tends to look terrible"

You're right. That's what Youtube wants: de-interlaced videos.

But I've read somewhere that progressive screens will not care if you're footage is interlaced or progressive. What if I upload the video to sites other than Youtube, is interlaced ok? What do you think?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 27, 2015 at 2:21:03 pm

[clyde villegas] "But I've read somewhere that progressive screens will not care if you're footage is interlaced or progressive."

Some (not all) progressive displays have deinterlacing capability built in, but why would you want to rely on that when you can ensure a quality display before you upload it. In my experience, a progressive display often doesn't do that great of a job at converting the signal on-the-fly, either.

[clyde villegas] "What if I upload the video to sites other than Youtube, is interlaced ok? What do you think?"

If you're putting your content online, it should be de-interlaced. It's not difficult to do in your NLE or encoding software. And if your intended delivery is web-based from the start, then just shoot progressive from the get go. So take the extra time and do well so the end user has the best experience with your content.

Just my $.02

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Jul 27, 2015 at 2:57:08 pm

Thanks Ryan!

The problem is actually the deadline. I have about 20 hours of edited interlaced footage. I tried deinterlacing with Magic Bullet Frames and the resulting estimated encoding time was about 14 hours for just two hours of video. So I thought if interlaced video will look the same as progressive on LCD screens, I'd rather keep it that way so I can finish faster. (The estimated encoding time is actually on an overclocked i7 4790K with 32gigs of RAM. This morning, I replaced the stock heat sink with a radiator type liquid cooling system so I can overclock to 4.4Ghz without overheating). But of course, if the resulting video will look awful, I'll look for another route.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 27, 2015 at 3:04:21 pm

[clyde villegas] ". I tried deinterlacing with Magic Bullet Frames and the resulting estimated encoding time was about 14 hours for just two hours of video."

If you're using a plugin like MB then you're encoding times will always be longer. You may just try using the standard de-interlacing steps in Compressor or Media Encoder or whatever encoder you're using. Magic Bullet, while great, may not fit due to the added time constraints. All encoding engines today have some deinterlacing steps (Compressor, Telestream, Sorenson, Media Encoder, etc).

And depending on the effect you're appling within MB some fx take more advantage of the GPU than the CPU, so the more horsepower you have the better in the graphics card area. Though I never discourage people from running more powerful chipsets! :-)

Best of luck to ya!

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Jul 29, 2015 at 6:46:01 am

In Adobe Media Encoder, particularly in the Export Settings, if I choose "progressive" in the Field Order drop-down list, will AME automatically convert my upper-field-first video to progressive? Will it yield the same result/quality as that of Magic Bullet Frame's deinterlacing? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 29, 2015 at 11:26:44 pm

[clyde villegas] "In Adobe Media Encoder, particularly in the Export Settings, if I choose "progressive" in the Field Order drop-down list, will AME automatically convert my upper-field-first video to progressive?"

Yes, it should. As an added step I typically will deinterlace even on the timeline in Premiere (right click on the media clip and choose "Field Options..." and then under the processing options section check the "Always De-interlace" option.

[clyde villegas] "Will it yield the same result/quality as that of Magic Bullet Frame's deinterlacing?"

I've never done a side-by-side comparison. It should yield the same result, which is deinterlaced video. However, I can't speak to the quality and which one is better. You can do so A/B test (just use a 5-10 second section as a test clip for comparison).

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Jul 30, 2015 at 12:49:19 am

Thanks Ryan!

I tried both and can't see any difference, at least to my eye. And the render time in using the built-in deinterlacing is super fast! Using Magic Bullet Frames, it 40 seconds to render the 5 sec. clip. Using built-in, it was just 18 secs. Fanstastic! Thanks again, Ryan. That was really helpful. Will never use Frames again. God bless.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]