FORUMS: list search recent posts

r3d pal to Prores 4444 25fps experience gamma shift after someone ran icc profiler and wacked my settings

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Donihue
r3d pal to Prores 4444 25fps experience gamma shift after someone ran icc profiler and wacked my settings
on Jun 8, 2015 at 6:34:58 am

HELP! On deadline. Big one, of course.

Experiencing gamma shift when going to h264 or flash out of pro res 4444
In the past I used fcp and cured issue with png out and then heading to other formats
I switched to adobe and never saw gamma shift out of after effects going into media encoder

While I know this is one of those known issues that occur for different reasons at different times, it did not occur on r3d to quicktime files out before. The only difference this time was icc color profiler was run on a different monitor and we shot this one in pal and have it in pal timeline.

Workflow: After Effects - 4k r3d pal files to quicktime prores 4444 (set fo gamma autocorrect: None). This file exports out CLOSE to what it looks like in composition timeline.

From there I take it into media encoder and when I export switch to H264, it loses the gamma and goes bleached. Is there a better delivery codec I can use going out of AE that will retain color when they export to multiple formats. I want to make sure it doesn't bleach out the minute it goes into an h264 environment, weather in their media encoder or on youtube.

Please call or help if you can asap. I desperately need this to work today.

ALL SPECS -

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B08

CURRENTLY USING
ATI RADEON HD 5770
also installed NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

PROJECT SETTINGS

Depth 8 bits (tried 8 as well)
working space: None

Blend colors non checked
match legacy non-checked

Output from After FX to Quicktime pro res 4444 seems close enough to origional-ish when gamma correction in codec settings is checked off. Some gamma loss occurs when re-encoding to smaller prores file in Media Encoder. 1920 mp4 output looks somewhat close until uploaded to youtube when it loses gamma and definition

info@superradfilms.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: r3d pal to Prores 4444 25fps experience gamma shift after someone ran icc profiler and wacked my settings
on Jun 8, 2015 at 3:30:02 pm

So you're gamma is shifting where - when you encode from ProRes4x4 to h.264? Or after you've uploaded to YouTube?

If it's the former the natural questions are: (1) What player are using to view these differences (Quicktime, which is notoriously inaccurate to judge color on or VLC or something else? (2) What monitor are you using to see these differences (broadcast monitor? computer monitor?)

If it's the latter, there's not much you can do. YouTube has it's own encoding system and it does what it does.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]