FORUMS: list search recent posts

converting WMVs exported from WebEx Recording Editor, get bad video encodes with AME 5.5 and 6

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shayne Weyker
converting WMVs exported from WebEx Recording Editor, get bad video encodes with AME 5.5 and 6
on Jun 5, 2015 at 4:50:40 pm

I need to convert WMV files that were created using Cisco's WebEx Recording Editor tool to h.264. That recording Editor tool is the only tool that can get stuff out of the native WebEx recording format (.wrf) for saving WebEx meetings which literally nothing else understands. So I'm stuck with that WMV. That WMV has some odd properties. Media Encoder reports the WMV as 1680x1050 (1.0) 5fps, unknown, 8khz, mono.

When I try to convert the WMV to MP4 the video goes black for a long time starting right around a point where the image changed on the screen. I tried lots of different output settings including matching frame rate, and using standard frame rates and CS5.5 and one quick attempt with CS6 and nothing helped.

For what it's worth I tried downloading the trial of Episode 6 and threw it in that and asked for an h264 and it said it didn't have the decoder. But I'm not sure the the trial version of Telestream Episode opens WMVs.

Anyone out there ever resolved this problem or got any ideas for alternate encoders that might cope well with not-quite-compliant WMVs?

--Shayne Weyker

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: converting WMVs exported from WebEx Recording Editor, get bad video encodes with AME 5.5 and 6
on Jun 5, 2015 at 9:56:15 pm

I was just working on this same type of problem last week, with WebEx. The only solution I've found useful so far is to playback the WebEx file (.wrf), and run a screen capture software to record the playback. The screen capture software can then be set to capture in h.264 with whatever settings. That file can then be easily shared and passed around.

Not super elegant, but it gets the job done.

I love proprietary formats like .wrf! <--sarcasm

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Shayne Weyker
Re: converting WMVs exported from WebEx Recording Editor, get bad video encodes with AME 5.5 and 6
on Jun 9, 2015 at 3:41:45 pm

I found the solution. The WebEx Recording Editor lets you pick from two different flavors of WMV9 to export to. And it's not clear which one you have selected (I think the default is the bad one) unless you open the drop down menu and look because it truncates the name of the codec selected. The choices are

Windows Media Video 9 Screen (BAD, causes problems in conversion)
Windows Media Video 9 (Good)

Pick the good choice and export the WMV and then you can convert with Media Encoder.

--Shayne Weyker

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]