FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best settings when exporting a video for youtube.

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Riggs
Best settings when exporting a video for youtube.
on May 6, 2015 at 11:36:16 pm
Last Edited By Joe Riggs on May 6, 2015 at 11:55:55 pm

Hello,

The presets on Adobe Media Encoder don't cut it, I've tried upping bit rates,
using max render quality/bit depth and it is an improvement but
has anyone figured out the magic formula for great looking youtube videos?

I don't care about file size but I do care about encoding time so will you see
a quality difference in a 35MB CBR vs a 35MB 2-pass VBR?

Should we just throw the highest quality file at youtube, and let it
do its thing, so Pro Res 422, HQ and or 4444?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Best settings when exporting a video for youtube.
on May 9, 2015 at 12:37:32 am

[Joe Riggs] "Should we just throw the highest quality file at youtube, and let it do its thing, so Pro Res 422, HQ and or 4444?"

You can do that. YouTube does accept ProRes formats. But the time you save from encoding to h.264 mp4 you'll lose in uploading time and YouTube Processing time with a straight ProRes file.

[Joe Riggs] "has anyone figured out the magic formula for great looking youtube videos?"

There is no such thing. Compression is as much art as science. For footage going to YouTube I encode at 1920x1080, 23.976 @ 50-100mbps CBR (depending on footage). Key frame distance is set to 12 (or whatever half the frame rate is). Maximum render quality.

VBR is good if you're trying to save space on your final file - say because you have a bandwidth limitation or a size constraint like on a DVD. VBR helps to maximize the bits by looking at the footage and estimating how much data needs to be thrown at a particular scene. If the algorithm determines it can get by with less data for a particular scene it uses a lower data rate for that area of footage. CBR means that regardless of the image being encoded it throws all the bits it can at it.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]